Drake's 'Scorpion' Breaks Single-Day Streaming Record on Apple Music

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Drake's fifth album, Scorpion, has surpassed the artist's own single-day streaming record on Apple Music, with over 170 million streams in its first 24 hours of availability.

Apple told The Verge that Scorpion now holds both the U.S. and global streaming records for the company's streaming service, and the debut is the biggest ever single-day streaming total for any album on any streaming service.

Drake's last album, More Life, held the previous record with 89.9 million streams in its first day. It also set records on Apple's Beats 1 radio service, marking the biggest Beats 1 show in its history at the time.

Apple promoted the artist's latest release by launching a site that lets visitors make their own Scorpion album cover art with personal photos. The company also made sure Siri had something to say when fans asked the virtual assistant what Drake's nicknames are.

Apple Music is working overtime for This is what happens when you ask Siri what Drake's nickname is pic.twitter.com/3fbRKvKAhA - Micah Singleton (@MicahSingleton) June 28, 2018

Scorpion appeared on almost 30 of Spotify's popular playlists, but the rival service was still unable to keep up with the Apple Music's streaming figures for the album, despite it having around 120 million fewer subscribers than Spotify.

According to Spotify's public charts, the album was streamed over 132 million times in its first 24 hours, but Spotify said that number could end up being higher once it finishes tallying the results.

Scorpion is expected to shatter the single-week streaming record of 431 million streams currently held by Post Malone's Beerbongs & Bentleys.

Article Link: Drake's 'Scorpion' Breaks Single-Day Streaming Record on Apple Music

Enclavean

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2018
I’m actually surprised. Spotift were much more agressive than Apple with marketing this album. In Apple Music I barely saw it, in Spotify I couldn't get away from it.

Reactions: slicecom

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
This shows that Spotify users have better taste in music that’s all.
Nice deflection, but the top tracks on Spotify are Drake’s and then there is XXXtentacion.
[doublepost=1530532226][/doublepost]
Or, more likely, that Spotify’s actual users are not as many as the company claims.
This, and people that forgot they are paying for Spotify.

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
back in 1977, Macdonalds sold a bunch of foods in an hour, low and behold they broke some hamburger selling record.

hey, MACdonalds.......MACintosh...... what did i get into?

JSt83

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
Boring album, could be cut in half, would probably still be boring.

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
hey, aint he the point guard for the minnesota timberowls or something like that?

Reactions: Huck

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
“This is what happens when you ask Siri what Drake's nickname is”
————
I’m surprised. I figured it would be, “I’m sorry, I don’t see that name in your contacts,” or “Here’s what I found in the web for ‘What is Drake’s nickname?’,” or “Sir Francis Drake was an English sailor whose nickname was ‘Draco’.”

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I’m actually surprised. Spotift were much more agressive than Apple with marketing this album. In Apple Music I barely saw it, in Spotify I couldn't get away from it.
Turns out Spotify users do have better taste in music. I ain’t jokin’. Or more diverse taste, which is probably just as important/invaluable.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2007
Or, more likely, that Spotify’s actual users are not as many as the company claims.
Yep. I'm a spotify user. I have an account and some playlists. But I never use it. I wonder how many users they have who use the service on at least a semi-regular basis.

FunnelDog

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
Atlantic Coast
"Oh, that's how you feel?" - Best song on the album and best reaction to the empty comments on this thread...
or...
"It* doo000oon't matter to me..."

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I don't why Apple keeps on promoting Drake?! Boring and overrated artist. That's why I never want to sign up Apple Music. :mad::mad:
You don’t like Drake so you’re boycotting Apple Music for providing his stuff to the record-setting millions who do. Wow. Just, wow.
[doublepost=1530536881][/doublepost]
Macrumor forums needs a “haha” reaction like Facebook.
Is there an “ironic haha”?

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I don't why Apple keeps on promoting Drake?! Boring and overrated artist. That's why I never want to sign up Apple Music. :mad::mad:
Yeah, about that freewill thing ... change the channel, instead of Monday morning nastiness.

"Oh, that's how you feel?" - Best song on the album and best reaction to the empty comments on this thread...
or...
"It* doo000oon't matter to me..."
Very good post!

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Spotify had widespread problems with making the album available when it launched. That would cut into numbers.
For your sanity I hope you've never been to a music store at a shopping mall.

omihek

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Can somebody explain to me how ANY of Drake's music is even close to good? I keep listening to his stuff because it keeps breaking records but I haven't heard a single song of his that I can even pretend to like.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

omihek

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
What kind of music do you enjoy?
Music with a tune. All I hear from him is talking with a bit of a beat in the background.

I don't like all music from any one artist, but I like some from Eminem, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Paramore, Weezer, Taylor Swift, Within Temptation, Muse, Avenged Sevenfold, All-American Rejects, Lady Gaga, Demi Lovato, Yellowcard, Pierce the Veil, The Used, Twenty-One Pilots, Escape the Fate, Falling In Reverse, Imagine Dragons, Black Veil Brides, Kelly Clarkson, 30 Seconds to Mars, Breathe Carolina, My Chemical Romance, Hollywood Undead, Skillet, Enya, Sia, etc.

I like tons more, but that's just the artists I can think of right now. I know most of this music isn't the same type as Drake's. The closest ones are probably Eminem and Hollywood Undead, but they at least have some emotion in their voices, so even though there's not much singing with a tune, I can still feel the depth of the music, plus their background instrumentals are usually pretty good.