Drawbacks Running Windows on MBA

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Whalensdad, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Whalensdad macrumors member

This is for those of you that are running Windows 7/8.1/10 on your MBA. What are the drawbacks you have encountered (i.e. no backspace key, etc.). As a long time Windows user considering using BootCamp to install Windows 10, I'd like to know what I'm giving up by running Windows on Mac hardware.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Primarily, you would be giving up battery life and some advanced trackpad gestures.

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Battery life and poor trackpad performance because of the poor driver from Apple are the two things that bother me. Everything else works as it should.
    The delete key of the Apple keyboard works as the backspace key in a non-Apple keyboard.

4. Whalensdad thread starter macrumors member

What is the battery hit for running Windows 10? How bad is the trackpad performance? Is it still worth doing given these 2 limitations?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Windows 10 is pretty efficient, but you will not see OS X battery life numbers. For example, I get 6 or so hours in my MacBook Pro (Classic, Mid-2012, ~80% battery capacity) in OS X 10.9+ but only get 3-3.5 hours under Windows 7. I never tried Windows 10 on any Mac for an extended period of time.

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Your experience will be different than mine because you have the Air and I have a 2014 MBP with the nVidia GPU. When using Windows, only the the nVidia graphics are used so battery life takes a big hit. I get around 6 hours on OSX and only 3-3.5 in Windows.

Your Air should do much better though. You should get 6 hours with Windows.

And yes, I still feel it is worth running Windows on your Mac.

7. Whalensdad thread starter macrumors member

8. Whalensdad thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably load the Trackpad+ drivers but even then how bad is the trackpad compared to OSX?

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is not bad by any means but lacks some of the advanced gestures and precision that you get under OS X.

10. Whalensdad thread starter macrumors member

Well I did it and I'm loving it. Windows is running great. Trackpad running Trackpad++ is nearly as smooth as under OSX. I haven't tested the battery life yet, but watched 2 episodes of BSG while on battery and the bar barely moved. The only 2 issues I see are: I need 2 keys to delete (Fn-Delete) and the trackpad is a little too sensitive.