Drawing materials?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zebraman, Jun 22, 2008.

1. zebraman macrumors member

Ive always been passionate for drawing and it has been a talent that has come to me naturally. I have a sketchpad and normal papermate number 2 pencils. Everyone always tells me i should get "drawing" pencils and get surprised I use normal stuff. I would get them but i have no clue what their talking about? :confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Or more likely a craft store... a Michaels, Hobby Lobby or something similar
    You will find a wide variety of drawing materials

Excellent hobby, and if you are good at it, it can be a source of income

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Try an office supply store as well, Office Depot, Staples, Office max , ect

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think people are saying that you should get true drawing pencils because they have a variety of hardness/softness to them with the usual designation of B or H and some number in front. I personally have been through a variety of pencils and for drafting there is nothing that measures up to these mechnical pencils I have. However, for drawing I prefer Woodless Drawing Pencils. They have felt the best in my hand and I enjoy drawing with them. You can buy them at most art stores and really don't cost much more than wood pencils.

Either way, if you're comfortable with your pencils and they work for you then why bother spending the cash?

Here's a pic of the pencils.

Attached Files:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

jessica. is right... and you should be encouraged that people are telling you to get drawing pencils.
    It seems as though they see real talent in you, and that is an exciting thing.

Do either of you have some scans you can post as samples of your work?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who me?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes you... silly ;)

If you have the pencils, then you must draw, right?
    Would love to see your work!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a few things here, nothing spectacular at all. No one ever told me to buy good pencils so I bet the OP's work is way more impressive!

9. zebraman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Im gonna be launching my deviant art pretty soon if you wanna see my drawings. And about one of the earlier comments. How could i make money out of it? Im 15 and i cant really get a job in my state and i wouldnt mind getting some income :D

10. shecky Guest

shecky

i buy most of my art supplies from Utrecht or Dick Blick. If you are in Miami i guarantee there is an art store somewhere near U of M. Here is the Dick Blick page on drawing pencils, personally i prefer the Staedtler Lumographs:
    [​IMG]

your support (paper) is important too. i tend to use strathmore 300 as my default.

one thing about art: supplies are expensive. get used to it :)

if you get into more art stuff, i found the book Artist's Manual to be a great reference. most libraries should have it if you don't want to buy it.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I use my mechanical pencil the most but it's nice to have other pencils. Don't bother getting those sets of pencils, get like 3 or 4 throughout the hardness spectrum. One really soft, one hard, and a couple in between. But then again it depends on your drawing style. If you use stumps or tissues when rendering, you don't need set. If you don't use them it's probably nice to have a set.

12. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Depending on what your drawing, they make a difference. I prefer ruler and pencil Linky

13. MotleyPete macrumors regular

It doesn't really matter what you choose to use. It's fun to experiment, but people use all sorts of things, there's no right or wrong about it.

Just as long as you keep drawing. That's the main thing.

14. zebraman thread starter macrumors member

Now how is it that I could make any income out of drawing?

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

16. shecky Guest

shecky

by selling them. for money.

17. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

You're using the "normal" 2B pencils, and I would definitely recommend that you go to an art supply store and buy a 7B, a 7H and 2 or 3 in between those, just so you can get a feel of the difference they make when drawing. Also, the paper you use can dramatically change the feel of the finished piece. Normal paper has short fibers, and papers with longer fibers tend to be better to draw on (at least in my experience).

Please share some of your work! :)

18. zebraman thread starter macrumors member

I have a mead sketch pad. It cost around 6 dollars. Is that good?