Drawing network diagrams app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueroom, Dec 18, 2013.

1. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd like to draw network diagrams and wonder if anyone can recommend a simple to use app for OSX.
    [​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Have to agree with Maflynn, Omnigraffle's about as close as you're going to get to Visio on the Mac.

4. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

5. ratsg macrumors 6502

A few years back when I was spending much more time wearing a networking hat, I had explored and purchased a copy of Omnigrapple for network maps.

Its a good product from a solid company.

It will probably never have all the different (supplied and user created) network image templates that Visio has.

Also, you can exchange your network diagrams back and forth with Visio, as long as you save in the Visio XML format.

Hope this helps

6. ratsg macrumors 6502

I was about to dismiss your comment, but after digging around, I found that they do have some nice networking templates.

http://deepitpro.com/en/mac/products/Diagrammix/info/images/slides/all_cisco_shapes.png

And $20 USD is a nice price.

Did you list this product merely as an alternative? Or are you using it as a network diagramming product that you enjoy using?

Comments appreciated.

7. blueroom thread starter macrumors 603

blueroom

I've tried OmniGraffle and Diagrammix, both excellent but for $20 Diagrammix seems to fit my needs. Thanks everyone.

8. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

I use it for things process flow charts, but knew it could do what you needed. Plus, much cheaper than OmniAnything.....

9. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

OmniGraffle can import many Visio stencils allowing you to use them in OG.

I do agree the Diagrammix is a nice inexpensive alternative. I've used it since it's initial release and it keeps getting better. The in app purchases add a few nice features at a low price as well.

The big advantage I see in OG is its ability to import from and export to Visio; although the import or export is not always clean. If someone needs to be able to edit your diagrams later that may be a useful function. if not, Diagrammix is a great choice.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That;s why I personally chose Omnigraffle - the power, flexibility and ability to access visio documents. I can't knock the OP for going with the other product, 20 bucks is hard to beat especially if you need it for a one thing.

11. kirk@kpj2.com macrumors newbie

12. kirk@kpj2.com macrumors newbie

There is a concept mapping tool (mind mapping that includes cross-linking) called Inspiration - been around for a zillion years and marketed to the K12 schools, but it is a powerful tool, allowing you to switch between outline and diagram views dynamically, and each node can have comprehensive notes behind it. This can then be exported to a word processor, for completing documentation. Automated and manual layouts of nodes are both available, along with drag and drop of any graphic object into the diagram, and it becomes a node with connection points. Nothing faster for creating diagrams - click and type, node created. Set up your own symbol library.