All iPads Drawing on the iPad Mini vs iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fig, Jun 4, 2014.

1. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Hey folks, in the market for an iPad and I'm debating between Mini and Air.

I'm planning to do some sketching on it and was wondering if the Mini is big enough to draw on comfortably or if the full size Air would be a better choice.

Any firsthand experience? Thanks!

2. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I have the ipad 4 and the mini and for writing notes by hand the full sized ipad is much easier. I could imagine the same for drawing.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

5. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Thanks guys. I realize there's more area on the Air, but I prefer the form factor of the Mini so I'm weighing the options.

Anyone else feel free to chime in :)

6. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

i'm thinking of repurchasing an iPad too. I had the retina mini for a few weeks but the quality of the screen really got to me. I had to return it but the iPad mini is the best size for an iPad in my opinion. I have to say i didn't do much drawing on it but a larger size is much better for drawing.

I purchased a Sony Vaio Fit/Flip 11" and despite being a little bulky it was perfect for drawing on, especially with a proper stylus. However my windows apps always crashed and then Sony recalled the machine because of battery defects, so back it went.

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Air now.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not think either device is really "good" as far as drawing on it.:rolleyes:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't draw, but I would think the lack of screen real estate for the mini is its main inhibitor.

9. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

The platform as a whole certainly has it's drawbacks, but there's also some really nice apps for a variety of sketching and painting on iOS.

For quick sketches in a coffee shop or just sitting on the couch it's actually kind of ideal in some ways. But thanks for the valuable feedback :)

10. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I do a lot of drawing on my iPad air with a Wacom Creative Intuos Stylus. The app I use the most is Procreate and on their forum there are a lot of complaints about bluetooth styluses not working well on Mini Retinas. Since that's the most common route to a more precise stylus, and the smaller the screen the more precision you would probably want and need, the current mini might have unexpected problems beyond just the smaller size. On the other hand, its an ideal size for unobtrusive sketching in public, and apps with gestures allow you to zoom in for easier close up work.

11. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Good to know, thanks, I am planning to get a bluetooth stylus but hadn't heard about the compatibility errors.

I'll check more into that, thanks!

12. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Doable on the mini, much easier to accomplish on the air.