Drawing Program for not so many $$$

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G4OS753, Dec 4, 2010.

1. G4OS753 macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a decent drawing and/or painting program that will not blow a huge hole in my wallet? (under $100)

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

:apple:iMac 27 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 256 MB VRAM, 1 TB HD, 4 GB Ram.

2. hlemmon macrumors newbie

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Yiako macrumors newbie

The best alternative to Photoshop por painting in Mac is Gimp, with the extension Gimp Paint Studio.

It's all you need. I actually prefer it to Photoshop and Painter.

And the price tag is unbeatable ;)

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This Gimp extention looks pretty nice.

OP by your original statement I'm guessing you are more about recreating natural media? If thats the case Photoshop, Inkscape, and Pixelmator will not be what you are looking for. Photoshop and Pixelmator can do digital painting and some people use them for it all the time but if you are trying for something that better represents natural media like Corel Painter does then I'd say go with the above quoted suggestion and get that Gimp extention. It looks great. Or, if you are a student you can get Corel Painter for $79 from Corels website.

6. snowmaan macrumors regular

Which version of PS are you using?
    The $99 Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 one or the $500 version?

I am about to begin working on developing an app, and am thinking about which painting / photo manipulation program I will need, to do my backgrounds and artwork (characters etc) in my app

Thanks

7. Yiako macrumors newbie

I just downloaded PS full and tried for 30 days. I suggest you to do the same: download bothg Gimp + GPS and PS trial, and try them. I'm on a -sparse- budget and to buy PS I would save for 5 months, and after trying Gimp, I have found it perfectly capable of doing what I need (illustrations mimicking natural media).
    Overall PS is more capable in many areas (layers, filters, automation...). But if you just need it for painting, I think Gimp+GPS is right for you.

8. snowmaan macrumors regular

Thanks
    But elements 9 or the full suite?

I downloaded gimp plus gps and will try those first
    My requirements are designing and drawing backgrounds, actors and models etc

For 3d and animation and music I have no idea thus far
    I also need to find out the ideal image size, pixel size, format etc which I am open to suggestions on all, but starting out to research

9. G4OS753 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a version of Painter for Intel Macs, or will the current version run on an Intel processor no problem?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

9, 10, and 11 run fine on intel processors. I haven't tried anything earlier that that as I started using painter at version 9.