Drawing too much power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamneek, Mar 4, 2012.

1. iamneek, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

iamneek macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 13" Macbook Pro, and today I bought an Akai MPK25 USB Keyboard to use with Logic.

However, I came home to try it out and plugged it into my Macbook pro, and then there's a popup that says something along the lines that "a device is drawing too much power" so it had to be disconnected. I thought "Fair enough, it's a laptop, I'm sure that could be an issue." So I bought an external power supply - It still kept displaying that message. I figured my last resort would be a powered USB hub - and it still displays the same message. Even when I have the powered USB hub plugged in as well as the external power source.

Could this MPK25 really be THAT powerful, or is something wrong with my Mac? If so, are there any known solutions to this type of problem? (Or troubleshooting at least?)

Thank you!!

EDIT: Check my last post in this thread. The issue was resolved. (It was the unit, not the Mac)

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried both USB ports on your Mac, either directly or via the hub?

3. iamneek thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I did try both of them. With and without the hub.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ask the vendor. This is not a normal problem.

5. iamneek, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

iamneek thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured there's something very wrong. I spent my whole Sunday going from place to place buying the appropriate wall outlet and USB hub, and just plain trying to get it all to work to no avail.

I'll have to call Akai's tech support during lunch today. I may just plain even have to test it out in person with another MPK25, and if that one connects with no issues then I know it's the unit and not the Mac. However, if it connects fine to another Mac, then I know the problem is with the Mac.

Trial and error, and lots of gas money spent in the process.

Thanks for your replies :)

EDIT: To avoid bumping this thread up, I edited it (just incase this happens to someone else and they search search engines for the remedy.)

Something was wrong with the MPK25. So I swapped it out for another one, and it works like a charm.