Drawing w/ livetype

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by budha, Oct 13, 2008.

1. budha macrumors member

I tried doing a lot of searching but I wasn't coming up w/ much.

Is it possible to "draw" w/ livetype? I want to simulate a supply and demand curve (economics) being drawn on a black screen.

Also, does livetype have something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDaSJ23DRjs
    0:40 second mark in video

I'm doing an interview and I want to have something where it says "bush's enemy" on that example. Basically text and a background that will come out to introduce the person.

2. RatVega macrumors member

Drawing may be possible, but it's not what LiveType is for. LiveType is an animated titler. Try Motion or some other graphics program.

The "something you want is called a "lower third." Final Cut Pro supports the creation of simple Lower Thirds directly or you can create them in Photoshop, Illustrator, or what-have-you? and import them into FCP.

3. budha thread starter macrumors member

Could you tell me where this "lower thirds" option is in FCP?

Also, I dont have access to Motion at the moment so that is why I was curious about livetype.

4. RatVega macrumors member

Touch the "generators" button on the Viewer frame (lower right, looks like a little filmstrip with an A in it) and select Text>Lower 3rd or open the Effects tab in the Browser window then Video Generators>Text>Lower 3rd.

Once it's in the Viewer, edit the Controls tab then drag it onto the timeline

There's a lot of stuff on this in the online Help files within FCP.

If you can't get Motion going, then I'd animate the graphics in the timeline of FCP using graphics from Photoshop or illustrator and some keyframing (if you want it animated). As an alternative you could use any graphics program that will output an mov clip.

I recommend using .png with an alpha channel for the stills, animation codec set to Colors: Millions+ for video. Alpha channels are much easier to work with than trying to matte everything.