Dreaded beach ball

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BLDun, Nov 17, 2012.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

First, I've spent the last two hours searching here for info on the beach ball but still haven't found my situation or solution.

I have a 24" imac 2.4 Gz and occasionally I would get the dreaded beach ball but nothing major. Then the HD crashed and I had to order and install a new one so I got a 1TB. Install was relatively simple and I had everything backed up on Time Machine. I did a new install of Snow Leopard and uploaded everything from Time Machine. Everything went pretty flawless. All my settings and details were transferred.

Here's the problem. I get the stupid beach ball every time I turn around now. Sometime on line and sometimes playing a game, etc. I have run disc verify, permissions repair, run Onyx to clean up cashe, etc. but nothing seems to help. I have 6 mb of RAM and the Activity monitor shows plenty of open space . Activity Monitor also shows no unusual drain anyplace that I can see. Any suggestions???

Thanks
    Barry

2. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Look for a software problem. A common cause is an application that can't get the memory it needs and handles the situation badly. You seem to have eliminated memory exhaustion as a likely cause, but they are lots of other ways for buggy applications to cause the problem.

Try paying attention to what apps you are running; do you notice that a particular app is always running when you have problems?

Run Software Update and make sure you have the most recent version of all your Apple stuff; you could be hitting a bug that they've already fixed. Similarly, check for updates on all the 3rd-party apps you use.

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I wondered about a software problem myself but can't seem to find anything. I have updated all software updates that are available. I will try to keep my eye on the apps that are running when it happens. It seems to be random at this point. For instance when I'm online and decide to scroll to the top or bottom of a page sometime it works great and sometimes it will freeze temporarily with the beachball and then after about 30 seconds it will be OK and I can scroll a dozen times before it happens again.

Also, I was playing a solitaire game last evening and when I hit the button to deal a new hand it did the freeze and beach ball and after about 30 seconds it was OK. Then I dealt a new hand probably 20 or more times before it did it again. So it is quite random and very annoying.

Thanks