Dreaded flashing question mark folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrealeal21, Dec 7, 2014.

1. andrealeal21 macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm new so I'm hoping I'm not posting this in the wrong section.

So a few weeks ago I was skyping when my macbook pro (I think it's a late '11 model) froze and I had no choice but to force its shut down. I restarted it and got the awful flashing question mark folder. I tried to do Internet recovery, but when tried to reinstall the OS it showed no disk.

I did my reading and guessed it was probably the hard drive cable that was failing. I just moved to Mexico city, so I really have no clue where to get new parts, but I managed to find a used cable to replace mine.

I replaced it, and when I turned on my MBP, it took a bit to load, but everything was working as I left it. All the programs I was running when it failed, were opened, all my chrome tabs as I left them... all my files intact, etc.

I was reaaaally excited, and I left for work. I didn't come back home until the next night, and when I tried to turn it on, there it was, that stupid folder with the question mark. I restarted the mb a few times until it worked again, but then again, it froze and I had to shut it down. Now I get the folder again and again, even when I reinstalled the cable a few times, and even tried my old cable too.

So my question is: if all my files were intact and the hd seemed to be running just fine - not slow or anything- should I suspect I need yet another cable? or could it be that the HDD is at fault? Or maybe even the logic board?

I hope you can help me, cause I am pretty ignorant of these topics. Actually, this is my first time ever handling with hardware repairs.

Thank you in advance!

2. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

could be the hard drive or logic board failing... a complete hardware diagnostic test must be done to find out where the problem is at.

3. andrealeal21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response. How can I perform a complete hardware diagnostic test??

Thanks again :)

4. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

if i'm not mistaken Apple Genius usually run this test ( http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257 ) 3 times to confirm a problem. My friend currently has the same problem on her macbook pro. they ran that test and said either Bracket ($65) or Logic Board ($190) maybe the problem. she doesn't have apple care which sucks.

5. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

By far the most likely culprit is a drive failure.