Dream Apple Setup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blazer5913, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Just wondering what you guys think would be the most "ideal" setup. I was thinking that a mac pro with an ACD (preferrably 30") as a desktop with pure speed and raw power to essentially handle everything. Yet, also the MacBook Air to complement it on the road, as it's ultra-portable but can still hold its own (I really don't need an optical drive on the road). The reason I ask is that I have a maxed out 15" MBP right now, and I'm happy with it, but thinking about switching to this type of setup if my friend decides to sell me his graphic design setup (MP + 23" ACD). Thanks guys, and if you have something different in mind, let me know

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

There is a difference between ideal and "uber"

For me, the ideal setup is what lets me get my work done without ever having to think about the technology working in the background. It would also provide more capability than I can use.

3. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand where you're coming from and I agree and think the same way. Obviously, I would love a MP maxed the hell out, running 2 30"s displays. As well as a maxed out 15" MBP. Yet, I understand this is simply not realistic for most. But is my thinking that if I could make this setup possible, would this be better than a single MBP (15") as far as productivity, power, ect. In my mind it's a no brainer, yes. But I just wanted some other thoughts, and I appreciate yours...

4. macwall macrumors 6502

i have a powermac g5 with a 30" dell lcd and a 15" macbook pro to take with me on the road all supported by an aiport extreme n with 3 seagate drives hooked up to the usb. i love it

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

A maxed MP, with 8 30" cinema displays, a original iSight Camera (always thought they looked cool), a 7.1 surround sound system hooked up to it. To go with this, I would want a 40Gb/s internet connection. And of course, my Logitech MX Revolution. I don't even want to think about how much that would cost for the MP and the displays alone, much less the internet bill.

Don

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

To hell with just a maxed out MP! :)

I want a few racks of maxed out XServes, running Xgrid and a maxed out MP.

Throw in a rack or 2 of XRaids, maxed out again of course, so I have enough storage for whatever the heck I am going to do with a few racks of Xserves.

Sadly, if given a few TB of raid, I really do not know what I would do with it. I am sure I can find "stuff", but do you really need to have that much redundancy in "stuff"?

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

OK, here's the setup I'm going for...

Mac Pro with 2 x 1TB drives, 6GB Ram, NVIDIA 8800GT...accompanied by 2 x 23" ACD's. I will also have a NAS (with FTP) to access to my more important files over the internet. I will be accompanying this with either a 15" MBP or a Macbook (ONLY if they get an aluminium design).

Couple that with an iPhone 3G so I can get my emails, etc anywhere

Peripheral wise, I would go with the Wireless Mac Keyboard and a Logitech MX Revolution Mouse...My printer is a Xerox 8560DN.

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

we sometimes have fun on the aple store website trying to gt the most expensive mac pro config..

but yeah.. i'd like a mac pro, 16GB ram, 3 x 30" displays, a nice 7.1 surround system (someone else mentioned this.. cool!!)..

all of this in a apple shaped house :eek:.. connected to a music studio with live instruments...

:apple::apple::apple:

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yeh we all dream about the top of the line Mac Pro speced out.

but i would just be happy with a Mac Pro with an 8800GT, i already have my dream display. then just accompany that with a MacBook Pro for portable heavy work… then just for giggles get an Air for 'myfacing' at the coffee shop :p.