Dream cars you will be able to afford.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G51989, Apr 12, 2014.

1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

So, we always see threads about " Dream cars "

What about dream cars you always wanted and could actually afford one day?

For me, I've ALWAYS had a crazy awesome roadster on my bedroom wall on a poster, and I always had a Corvette ( And Ferraris, but hahahaha nope ).

In the past 3 years I managed to get my hands on two cars I've wanted for a very long time, it feels creepy that I can finally afford them, considering I came up in a lower-middle class family that never had money for the fun stuff.

( Neither of these are actually my pics, I don't feel comfy putting plate numbers on the net )

As some of you my know I recently bought a lightly used XLR V, its not exactly the Benz SLK I've always wanted. But with a 4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar V8, and French made interior, its the PERFECT roadtrip and weekend car for the wifey and myself.

[​IMG]

They never sold very many either, so its very uncommon to see another one, I still get into it when I take it out and go " Nooooo wayyy "

The second Dreamcar I've always wanted and eventually bought has been a Corvette, in my case a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible

[​IMG]

430 Horsepower, super comfy, handles great, its the perfect " Mans man " car, and like the Caddi, I still get into it and go " noooo wayyy is this my car "

I think theres a different between dream cars that we'll never have, and cars we can really Afford. If my business keeps expanding and being as successful as its been so far, maybe a year or two from now, a Ferrari 355 might be a possibility, tho I'd trade in the Vette for the 355 ;)

2. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I will try to get into a 2008 Dodge Viper
    In a couple of years when i graduate and get a stable job.

No kids ftw

3. MICHAELSD, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've wanted a Porsche Panamera hybrid, and somewhere down the line they'll definitely be affordable enough 4-5 years used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although at that point I'd expect the Tesla to be pretty affordable as well, which is a decent looker.

Nice Cadi/Corvette combo OP!

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I have my eye on the 911 Turbo. The next year or so will decide the direction of my career and whether I'll be able to actually get it :p

Tesla also has my attention, hopefully the battery tech gets better and lasts longer with charging stations becoming more mainstream.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Well, as a hopeful entrepreneur I hope to have many many many cars in the immediate future. Let's say everything goes to plan, here's my dream cars that I will hopefully be able to afford within the next few years :)

2015 C7 Z06 Corvette Convertible
    [​IMG]

2015 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
    Note: It's not actually been publicly released yet, this is the V-sport, which is a twin turbo V6 vs the supercharged V8 in the CTS-V. This is what it will most likely look like
    [​IMG]

1966 Chevy Corvette Convertible
    [​IMG]

1967 Chevy Chevelle
    [​IMG]

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback
    [​IMG]

1969 Plymouth Roadrunner
    [​IMG]

Factory Five 1933 Ford Hot Rod
    Truly an awesome machine, on the track it's faster than a Lamborghini Gallardo and it's fully customizable (more info in link)
    Here's a link for the Factory Five Hot Rod if you want to know more about it: LINK
    [​IMG]

I'm a sucker for the classics :):)

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

[​IMG]
    Alfa Romeo 4C

[​IMG]
    Corvette Z06 Convertible

[​IMG]
    BMW 335i

Wild Card: Car I would buy right now (I hope it's good)

[​IMG]
    Acura TLX

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

problem with this kind of thread is you get a bunch of college kids thinking that in ten years theyll be in the market for $100k cars when in reality theyll be getting married, having kids, buying houses, contributing to 401ks, and lucky to make $75k

a lot of people will still miss the "realistic" part since they will forget to account for life happening

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Participate or don't

9. G51989, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Tho you have a point, I never had kids, wife does not want kids either. So I bought cars.

Lets be honest, cars are better than kids.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If you don't mine about reliability and maintenance, a lot of dream cars are almost sensible if purchased used.

11. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

12. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Indeed, I drive my Corvette almost every day when its nice out, Ive driven it across the country a total of 4 times now, had it two years and I've already put 60K miles on it. Never had a reliability problem. Though unless you are very light on the gas, the fuel consumption is not amazing.

13. easytake123 macrumors newbie

So you save kids for a car.:D

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

"Honey, kids or a Porsche? One's going to cost thousands of dollars to fix and take care of, and the other one's a Porsche."

15. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

As a wise man once said, if you can't afford a good Ferrari, you definitely can't afford a bad one.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This picture brings tears to my eyes.. so awesome.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Just recently bought a 2013 Boxster S and we are very happy with it.

18. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Sweet!

They are great cars, I did consider a Porsche before I bought my Corvette, I love Porches. But, I've been lusting after a vette since I was about 5 years old, so I had to have a vette instead. At least at first ;)

----------

Amen to that!

I love my XLR V and Corvette ( next on the list is a Ferrari 355 ), they don't poop their pants, eat food, or scream at you and whine all the time.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seems weird to me to call something a "dream car" when you can afford it - after all, isn't the entire reason for "dreaming" about it the very fact that you can't afford it?

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

My car was definitely a dream car for several years. Over the years my income went up and the price for decent used models went down until one year I could finally afford one.

That was over 9 years ago. I'm still driving it and it's still most definitely my dream car.

21. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

A " Dream Car " is the kind of car you want growing up as a kid/teen/college person, like I did. I always loved Corvettes and the Ferrari 355, one day I'll have a 355, but atm I have my Vette and XLR V.

It is a dream for most of your life, it took me till I was about 30 to afford my first " Dream Car ", there is a a GM dealer near me that really only does classic GM products, Caddics and Corvettes.

Once my business took off, and I started raking in the money, I test drove a 2012 Grand Sport, and after that, I had to have one, coupled with always having Vettes on my wall as a kid, I knew it was expensive, stupid, and pointless in the real world, but I didn't care. I had to have my own Corvette.

So, I went to that dealer, saw new and old Corvettes and other old and new GM performance products all in a line, I walked by them with the biggest smile on my face, and I saw the one I wanted, Bright Blue Grand Sport Convertible, with white stripes, 6 speed transmission, white stripes over it, convertible, 430HP V8, I knew I had to have it.

THe cool part about eventually being able to afford your dream car, and do what I did when I signed the papers, thinking " no wayyyyyyy, I made it! " is one of the best parts of buying a crazy car. First time I got in my Vette, I had a HUGE grin on my Face, coupled with the thought of " nooo wayyy....this is MY car....its' not in a book or on a poster...its my car "

----------

What car would that be?

22. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Acura NSX

[​IMG]

23. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I love those, they are great cars, and you can use them every day with no issues.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

People forget how legendary the NSX was. It changed everything. Near Ferrari like performance with less than 10% of the problems. It's a shame to see how far Honda has fallen since...:(

25. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

The NSX was a great car, to bad it never really got updated.

I would never buy an NSX or a Porsche just because they are that little bit understated, but they still are great cars.

And while I love the NSX and it was a great car....it wasn't that it was a great car that I think made the NSX so important. It was so much better than the Ferrari 348...it spawned Ferrari to step it up and produce the 355, which I think is the best sports car ever built.