Dream of a Mac, Live in a PC (which Mac do I buy?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by judhound, Jun 26, 2008.

1. judhound macrumors newbie

Ok, so here is the deal all of you mac lovers...I've been raised in a PC world. I have loved the options and the free spirit that comes with it...but with the Vista nightmare, I'm ready to move to the light side. The side of intel based *heavenly noises* macs.

I need your good, bad, and ugly opinions. I edit movies part time (really...really PART time), I do some photo work, and do some graphic work. I would call them hobbies because they bring little pay. But they are a consideration for me. I may want to play games at some time as well. I like the idea of the freedom that comes with a notebook, but realize the price I pay, and this sense of release that you get by the thought of working on a movie at the beach...may be just an upside down fantasy that is unrealistic. Ideally, I'd like to pay under $2,000..but could be convinced otherwise.

Here's where you all come in. Should I get a: MB, MBP, or I-Mac.
    Then under that. 2.4, 2.5 MBP. 20", 24" I-mac?

You guys have amazing experience and knowledge on all these things and I've been a silent admirer of the macrumors forum for a long time (don't tell my computer though eh?). Thanks

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you're serious about video work and gaming, then I would suggest you go with the MBP or an iMac. The integrated GPU found in the MacBook isn't great for those sorts of tasks.

However, to my mind your biggest decision is whether you want portability.

For me, the convenience of a laptop that can serve as a desktop (with external monitor, mouse, etc.) ranks higher than a desktop that can't go anywhere. I love the fact that I can take my MBP with me on the go or set it up as a proper workstation.

3. martychang macrumors regular

Portability is the big decision, if you actually intend to take it around then the MBP may be your thing, but if you're not it's a pretty big waste. The iMac is where I would probably go, since it doesn't sound like you NEED portability, it will be cheaper and most likely more powerful than the MBP.

The Macbook will restrain you a bit, though not horribly if you don't need to do the video work quickly. However if you ever hope to game on the Macbook you can pretty much forget about it unless it's Diablo II or Starcraft or maybe WoW: WoW works pretty well with the settings turned down, it'll just scream in agony and run really hot as you play :p

Thing about the iMac is there's a lot of range in what it can be, more than any other Mac model. The bottom iMac with the 2400XT should satisfy you depending on what kind of gaming you intend to do, if you're remotely serious about it you'll want at least the 2600 Pro. You'll also want to test drive the 20" and the 24" to see if you can live with the 20" screen, it's not the size that's bad: it just uses a lower quality panel than the 24", giving it a poor viewing angle. If you're really serious about the games you sometimes play(i.e. Crysis) then you'll need the 8800GS graphics option on the 24" iMac. All of these will be under $2,000.

That about covers it.

4. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

5. judhound thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. This definitely helps. Two days ago I was set on a MBP, but I think the IMac may be the solution to all my needs. And perhaps get a MB for any portability that I do need. I appreciate it. (though if anyone still wants to throw their opinion out, I'd gladly take it).