Dream set up, working fine, but the client wants MORE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacGuiver, Feb 21, 2011.

1. MacGuiver macrumors newbie

Someone in code world or software know how land hook me up with a solution.
    I have 6 NEC displays running off a brand new G5 with Dual radeon 5770 cards. We got them all to talk to the computer but the client wants to operate a Keynote presentation full screen across all six in the lobby.

I know this would be a much easier PC solution but they want mac, so... we're gonna have to find a way (otherwise we don't get paychecks.)

To be specific this is 6 monitors in a row, in portrait mode. Is there a way to stitch them together as one giant display via software?

Thanks in advance

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, wow! First let me begin by saying that this functionality has been an integral part of the Mac since at least the Macintosh II. However, the currently shipping ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro requires the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running MacOS X 10.6.4 or later. This means that this card will not run on any version of the Power Mac G5. If this is the card you that you have, then you are SOL. However, it may be possible that you have an older version of that card that will work with a G5. That is something that only you know.

3. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

In the absence of a better suggestion...

Have you tried just plugging them all in and going to System Preferences?

See if the display prefs let you manage them.

4. MacGuiver thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses,

Yeah we have the preferences working on all for resolution and what not, they do exactly what they should, but we need that and more. Mirror display is the only other course of action and that's not much of a help either. Does anyone know of some splitter hub that would support ridiculous resolution so as not to loose image quality? otherwise we are going to attempt to allow the retailers to attempt and use an automator file that stretches the screen and zooms to eliminate the title bar and such, (client may be a little P.O.ed at this but we have a week to deliver.

5. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Two Matrox TripleHead2Go boxes could be your answer. I saw G5 in Radiology hooked up to 3 Samsung 2924SW monitors.

6. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

One of these things isn't correct, if I understand correctly.

7. Animalk macrumors 6502

I would look into Tailpike1153's suggestion OP. Matrox offers all kinds of hardware, software and solutions for such projects. Even if they don't seem to have exactly what you are looking for, they can custom tailor you a solution for your project by talking to them. I've personally met some of the engineers working on these things at Matrox.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are certainly correct about this. The newest G5 is six years old. Brand new, it ain't. Perhaps the OP has an Intel-based Mac Pro rather than the PPC-based G5 that he thinks he has.

9. MacGuiver thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad, it is now called a Mac Pro, it's the latest one, we ordered it for this job. so... moving on I like the matrix idea and think we'll go in that direction if no one can think of a software solution.

Thanks all

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Mac Pro has always been available for five years now. It has always been called the "Mac Pro." As for your original question, it appears that you are disappointed for reasons that are as yet not specified. My reading of what you want is to use Radeon HD 5770 graphics cards to drive six monitors from a single Mac Pro. Each card has three video ports--two Mini DisplayPorts and one dual-link DVI port. This means that each card can drive three monitors. Therefore, if you install two Radeon HD 5770 graphics cards, then you will be able to drive all six monitors using your Mac Pro. ...

... if ...

... your graphic cards are the Mac versions. If you have the Windows versions of the ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics cards, then you need to trade them in for Mac versions.