dreamhost dns change to wordpress and now no email

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by phadam, Sep 2, 2010.

1. phadam macrumors regular

i just changed my dns1.dreamhost.com to dns1.wordpress.com and same with dns2 and dns3 - after the switch I got a Site Temporarily Unavailable screen which I am assuming just takes time to get my site back up on the internet after the switch. My main concern is my email. After the switch, I am not receiving email either. Will this be back up once the site goes back up?? I was previously using Gmail that I had setup from the Dreamhost control panel.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

DNS changes take up to 48 hours to propogate around the world. You could try flushing your local DNS cache and temporarily using an alternative DNS service like OpenDNS.

I'm not quite clear whether you're concerned about email getting to the server or you accessing it. If the former, then assuming you've not actually switched of your previous host then any email sent before DNS change should land at your old host and be available to pick up via webmail or a direct login without your domain name.

3. phadam thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response. My main concern was not being able to receive email after the switch. As of right now, I am able to send out mail but I still can not receive mail. If I try to use webmail.sitename.com or mail.sitename.com I get redirected to my official site that I am trying to build in wordpress

Any idea of what might be causing this?

4. designguy79 macrumors 6502

5. phadam thread starter macrumors regular

awesome! I had come across that edit section before but I was a little hesitant on editing without being completely sure. Appreciate the help. I needed that little push. Problem solved - all emails back up and running. Thanks!