Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple launched a new television ad in its "You're More Powerful Than You Think" campaign, this time called "Dreams". The song in the ad is "When I Grow Up" by Jennifer O'Connor.

It is the fourth ad in the series, with previous spots "Powerful", "Strength", and "Parenthood" focusing on the sheer variety of apps on the iPhone, workout apps, and apps for parents.

Like the other ads, "Dreams" shows the iPhone used in various situations in everyday life, extended with apps from the App Store. Apps and accessories featured in the spot include:

- Vaavud Wind Meter, an anemometer that plugs into the iPhone's headphone jack
- Response Deck, an app for fire and EMS first responders
- iTranslate Voice, a near-real time language translation app
- Veterinary AliveECG, a portable heart monitor for pets
- ForeFlight Mobile, a civil aviation mapping and weather app for pilots
- SAM-1, an appcessory for measuring water pH and other data

"Dreams" debuts just over a month after the previous spot, "Parenthood", was released at the end of June.

Article Link: Apple Continues App-Focused TV Ad Campaign With 'Dreams' Spot

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah... Shatter those dreams with the Beats acquisition. But overall great ad following that MacBook Air ad. (But that Beats Pill ad is still out here...) And why are these devices depicted as life-changing dream machines? I have one and it's just a practical phone.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
They should be insulting Samsung users and poking fun at Microsoft :D.

They don't really need to do that when they already make the best products. They can just sit back and let Samsung make fools of themselves :)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Once again, this ad only applies to the six people using Apps like this. For the mass, this is not a very effective way to sell a product. That ad didn't convince me to buy an iPhone. Its an ad I wouldn't waste my time watching.

Why not make an ad that focuses on the product that is being sold, and what makes the product great, unique features, and how it is a good fit. I almost like the Scamscum advertisements for this reasons. They highlight the pros of their product. Not that I would ever buy a Scamscum product though. It still doesn't compare to iPhone.

On the bright side, the music was a good choice, and it did show six (although rare) instances where the iPhone comes into use that fit right into these six people's life style. Again, not sure that the millions of iPhone owners actually care though.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Good but I hope when the iphone 6 comes out they start something new. Id like to see a different style. Something that really says something. These are good ads, but they aren't particularly memorable...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I really really wish they would stop, in so many of their adverts now, showing what the iPhone can do if you buy other people's hardware to add onto it.

Basically just making the phone a display device that runs some software.

Then at the end of the advert in micro writing for just 1.5 seconds on screen that "Other hardware may be required"

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I really really wish they would stop, in so many of their adverts now, showing what the iPhone can do if you buy other people's hardware to add onto it.

Basically just making the phone a display device that runs some software

Way to miss the point of the ad.. The idea of this campaign is to show that iOS devices can be used in a variety of situations/purposes. And in many of them - iPhone controls other hardware.

Or should their ads just show people using their iPhone to check Facebook and browse the web?

Oh and newsflash - iPhone IS a "display device that runs some software". That's what smartphone and computers generally do :rolleyes:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
People really do use their iDevices like this.

No, not really.

You really want a fire officer checking his iPhone, or a vet come to check out you horse by holding an iPhone against it?

Next will be an operating theater, no expensive professional equipment, just a few iPhones with some cheap addons plugged into them whilst you are having your heart bypass operation. :D

Shoestring1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Good but I hope when the iphone 6 comes out they start something new. Id like to see a different style. Something that really says something. These are good ads, but they aren't particularly memorable...

I think these ads are meant to reinforce an emotional feeling as opposed to a make you remember a particular idea or product. It's about building a brand and less about selling you a specific product. Essentially Apple is trying to define itself to you so that you feel good about their products.

At this point, if you don't know what an iPhone is, you're probably not in the market for one anyway.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Does it show actual business people Replying to an email and not being able to attach a file?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Way to miss the point of the ad.. The idea of this campaign is to show that iOS devices can be used in a variety of situations/purposes. And in many of them - iPhone controls other hardware.

Or should their ads just show people using their iPhone to check Facebook and browse the web?

Oh and newsflash - iPhone IS a "display device that runs some software". That's what smartphone and computers generally do :rolleyes:

When you are looking to buy a car, and how great the car is, let's try this.

They have a car, up on jacks, with it's engine running, hooked up to some device that's harvesting corn.

Then they have the car, out in the dark next to a caravan, engine running, hooked up the caravan powering it's lights and TV.

Next we have a car, engine running in the snow and ice, in a building where the people are using the heat from it's engine to heat water to have a shower with.

We then cut to a scene, where a Professional HD 4K Camera is mounted to the roof, with a camera man standing on the roof filming a western horse chase.

Finally ending with divers, exploring the sea bed, then panning up to show a car up on jacks, the rear tyres off and a belt powering a air compressor.

Ending shot of the car....... Extra hardware may be required.

So it's a boring car, nothing to say about the car, but you can use it for some other things if you hook it up to something else...... great.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Does it show actual business people Replying to an email and not being able to attach a file?

Are you still using iOS v3.0? I have been e-mailing attachments on my iPhone for as long as I can remember.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This doesn't appeal to anyone. Last time I monitored the heart rate of a horse was erm, never.

99.99% of the customers use their phones for Facebook, Whatsapp, Snapchat, email, camera, photos. Show off Touch ID, the camera, the App Store, slo-mo, etc. Why not emphasize that the iPhone is great at those things? I seriously wonder if the guys who made this TRULY understand what makes the iPhone so special...

I think the advertising should be way more agressive. The message should be: iPhones are super easy to use, have a super high quality and finish (both hardware and software) and they look stunning.

Furthermore, this ad is so US-centric. More than 60% of the revenue is from outside the US. What kind of marketing is Apple doing over there?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry, but as a Potential customer. I want to know how good it is as a device in it's own right.

If the battery life excellent, the camera excellent, what can it do that other devices I may see in the stores can't do.

Or will we just skip over any actual facts, and just assume it's great?

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
When you are looking to buy a car, and how great the car is, let's try this.

They have a car, up on jacks, with it's engine running, hooked up to some device that's harvesting corn.

I am sorry, but it's a really stupid analogy. Smartphone is not a car. It's a multipurpose device that you always have on you. It's only natural for it to be used for a variety of purposes.

Using this device to control other things makes perfect sense. And this is what sets iPhone apart from Android phones - there is so much 3rd party hardware that supports iOS. Apple is spot on to highlight this in their ads.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

Basically just making the phone a display device that runs some software.

Then at the end of the advert in micro writing for just 1.5 seconds on screen that "Other hardware may be required"

You may not care for it, that's fine - not all ads are targeted to you.

I do suspect, however, that this ad will make the people who might want to make hardware for iOS happy and get others to start thinking.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry, but as a Potential customer. I want to know how good it is as a device in it's own right.

If the battery life excellent, the camera excellent, what can it do that other devices I may see in the stores can't do.

Or will we just skip over any actual facts, and just assume it's great?

IMO these ads are about the ecosystem, not iPhone specs. Plus there really aren't any bad smartphones these days. For the most part they all have decent battery life and take good pictures. At this point all of that should be a given. Plus Apple already did an ad specifically focusing on the camera.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Are you still using iOS v3.0? I have been e-mailing attachments on my iPhone for as long as I can remember.

Really? Please tell me step by step how you REPLY (per my original post) to an email and then attach a document (without the workaround of creating a new email through a sandboxed app and then trying to copy the document, going back to the other email you are replying to and pasting it and hope it works).

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have a feeling this will be the last type of these ads.

Hopefully yes.

It's like they only need to make these adverts as they have nothing new to show off as a company.

Would be so nice if Apple actually did and created some things themselves to such an extend that there were interesting and informative adverts about their actual products.

Mind you I have always hated "Lifestye" adverts.

We had them in the UK about cars years before they were in the USA.

You watched a car advert and it told you sod all about the car.

Their product range is pretty dead until the end of the year, so I guess this is all they can do.
Probably see better adverts when they have new things soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.