Dreams

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Telp, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Do you remember your dreams?

1. Every night

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Periodically

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Rarely

27 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I am doing a project for school on sleeping and dreaming and I figured it'd be cool to ask people who remembers their dreams, how many per night they remember and how vividly they remember them.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i rarely ever remember dreams. maybe one a month. usually vivid when it does happen.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It really depends for me. Sometimes I'll remember my dream (like last night), and sometimes I won't (I can't remember what happened the night before last). They're in colour.

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I rarely remember mine.. shame I wish i did. ;D

5. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Rarely but I wish I did it would make great stories.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

depends. there are periods that i remember a whole bunch from my dreams every night for a period of time (a week or so), but there are gaps of the same time where i can only recall 1-2 dreams. but on average, i can recall a part of a dream at least once a week.

sometimes, i seem to remember dreams when waking up, but after a few minutes, i lose them, so i like to get them jotted down asap.

shameless plug, dream diary should help those that have trouble with dreams to organize them. http://www.muddybranch.com/DreamDiary.html .

i should do some bookkeeping on my recent dreams and see if there are any themes here.

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

8. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I had a dream when I was about 5 years old that I still remember vividly today, (I'm 17 now) it wasn't a particularly amazing dream, just random.

In general, I don't have too many dreams, and I don't tend to remember them until well into the next day if at all.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I can usually remember a dream if I am woken up while dreaming, and from time to time for regular dreams

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

about dreams, there was this dream i had years ago (2002) when i was bigger on rafael furcal than i am now, and edgar renteria, then for the cardinals and thought to be the nl's best ss, was the main subjects. i saw that they traded away furcal and we got renteria and i was so upset that furcal went away.

this actually happened in 2006, as furcal went away and we snatched renteria from boston, and i sometimes forget about my boy furcal. renteria i think is a better ss than fookie, werid huh...

and sometimes, it's like when i have a dream, i see something in real life based on the dream and it's like the future...but i don't say much about it. it's likely just coincidence.

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Most of the time I can remember my dreams very vividly, but I usually end up forgetting the boring ones to make way for good ones. I also dream in colour.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I remember once when I was very ill, I had a dream one night that I was part of a huge battle between Pokemon characters, in the middle of 'nothing' (just big black nothing) on floating pathways.

I woke up suddenly and was incredibly ill. The next night I was in the same dream, but it ended itself properly and when I woke back up I wasn't ill any more. :confused:

The mind is amazing.

13. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Do late night hallucinations count? No drugs or alcohol used lol.

cause I had a fever and kept seeing people in my room and they wouldn't shut up and I was getting pissed off so much.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I pretty much always remember my dreams. Sometimes I know I had one, but I can't remember all the details.

I always dream in vivid color, I've never had black and white/non vivid dreams, at least that I can remember.

Periodically I have dreams about math class. In the dreams I will be doing a worksheet with problems on it. The strange thing is I actually calculate the problems out. Its soooo annoying if I don't realize I am dreaming. I wake up and I am urrrrggg and usually when that happens I don't feel rested at all in the morning.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Every night I have at least 2 dreams and remember them both. I find it utterly fuels my creativity. We actually had a seminar back in college about inspiration and where to find it. They all suggested looking at designs and the likes that had already been tried and tested, about being able to influence design (lecturer said something about sticking a design in an orange room and they'll make something orange). I've never been like that.

I mostly stick to game developing now and my dreams really influence scenarios and worlds. Really can't imagine a life where I just wouldn't remember my dreams.

Had a really vivid one a few nights ago. In real life my friend had just bought an automatic BMW, I was really impressed with how easy they were to drive. In my dream the car was mine and my friend wanted a go, I let him, but his twin brother jumped in too and crashed into me, knocking a tooth out! He thought it would be funny to start juggling it - but he dropped it! I was actually annoyed with him in real life too :D anyroad! We drove to another guys house, walked through this weird corridor and ended up being told there was an assassin in the city. We sped down, jumped out the car and onto this cable that dropped into the "low part of town", and found the assassin was actually 2 women reminiscent of Patty and Selma from the Simpsons!
    They called a helicopter on us, so we hid in some strange cube like building. Inspector Gadget turned up with a machine gun and decided to help us out. The helicopter found us and opened fire so we legged it out and into a bunker and hid behind some hay. I looked at my watch and saw the numbers were crazy funny and said to myself "wait! it's a dream!" and told all the people chasing us to stop because it was only a dream. They shrugged their shoulders and walked off... like I burst the party or something. Then I had a little fly around the barn and woke up.

:D

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had a dream I was in Jurassic Park, atop some kind of super wide watchtower. A raptor jumped at me and cut my stomach, jumped out of bed with my hear pounding and my stomach was aching like mad :confused:

I didn't get back to sleep :D

Dreams that come true, now they're even more amazing... I'll go down that path if the thread goes first :p

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i usually remember my dreams quite vividly. but sometimes i'll not remember and be reminded of it months after the fact. that's when i get weirded out a bit.

18. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I don't usually remember my dreams...its rather rare. Although I still vividly remember a dream from when I was three. The Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz movie called my house. She wanted me to bring her Chex mix:confused:. It was rather odd, even then.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

rarely...but when I do, they normally pretty cool, and I remember them for a long time!

20. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I just woke up an I remember it I was at school and then there was an earth quake and then henry from ugly betty came running into my classroom with that alien rock from smallville and then I woke up.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I rarely remember dreams and when I do remember them they only stick with me for about a day or two.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just had a big one again. Literally just woke up...

We had to go over to Huddersfield, but by boat. The landscape was exaggerated. We're going down waterfalls and everything and eventually get to our destination. It's a school. In the hall they're holding some dancing competitions. I yawn and push my gums out (which was weird), I felt my front 2 teeth get pulled out. They're hanging there by the nerve. I try asking Kenan (from Kenan and Kel) who just runs away! We finally find some dancing doctors and they fix my teeth.

Teeth keep popping up in dreams!

edit - the earlier dream

I was down at my friends house. He had been acting up so I decided to have a talk with him. But when I got there he was out, I rang him and he told me to wait in his room. His mum turned up and was really angry with me, saying I've been controlling him or something (his mum was Amanda Redmond for some bizarre reason). She was hosting a party and a bunch of women turned up, she got drunk so I shouted at her for telling me off. Explaining that everything was his own doing. Some girl starts coming on to me and asks me back to her place. Being incredibly naive I said "sure", she starts stripping but for some reason I'm more interested in this really mad wallpaper she has! I keep starring at it and end up on some plane!

23. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Thank you all who have posted here. I finished the project and i found all of what you had to say very interesting.

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

since I end up laying in strange positions, one or both of my arms end up falling asleep. A couple months ago it happened everynight.

The scariest thing EVER was when I had a creepy dream (I don't even remember what is was about- it was like a year ago). I woke up and it was so dark in my room (and for some reason my eyes had not adapted to the dark) and I had no idea where I was. I felt something soft next to my side. I thought it was a person. I tried to move my right arm but it was numb. I thought it was gone. I moved around a little more and my arm (which had fallen asleep) fell onto my chest. I had no idea what the f*** was going on. It was so scary. Eventually after like 5 minutes I realized that I was just in my room, my arm had fallen asleep, and the soft thing was a down comforter.

The longer I sleep, the stranger my dreams seem to be.

When I was little I had two recurring dreams that would happen back to back.

1) I would be in the furnace room of a house I lived in ages ago. Then this hideous lady covered in snot would say "stay here, let me go boil some water" (she was going to cook me). Then a little wizard would watch me through a parascope behind the furnace. It was very scary as a small child
    2) Me and my sister would go to this large building. There were tons of other people and we were all in line. Since my sister and I were all first we got skiddles (candy). We then were all forced into a large cube room where we would be locked in and we would starve to death. Everyone would then try to escape and we eventually would. Everyone would then run to their cars and speed away.

I also remember some other memorable ones
    - I got turned into a door
    - I was "misbehaving" so a witch turned me into a skeleton by hot gluing things to my skin
    - I had to hide from a monster that came at night. I would have to press a button on my bed so my bed would go beneath the floor so the monster couldn't find me. This dream was odd though, cause it was cartoonish.
    - I've had a few where I am walking in an old victorian fancy mansion with people. Then people I am with start leaving the ground and eventually the last one or two people say be right back. I am then alone and weird things happen.

25. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

haha, thats funny, but it made me think of sleep paralysis (being paralyzed for a couple of minutes after waking up) and thats scary. Id freak out if i was paralyzed and didnt know why.