Dreamweaver 4 V Joomla?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Nov 6, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

hi all,
    I know Joomla's basic open source stuff, but who would use that for building a non-profit environmental group's site? Would it limit the design of the site and look too "Joomla-ish" (reminds me of the "Most non-iWeb site competition" thread we have here).

I've got my wife's old G5 now, and when our cashflow allows will probably get the CS4 Premium with Dreamweaver. But... on the other hand... do I really want to be stuck as THE only guy that can work on the website just because I've got Dreamweaver?

Hey, on that note, I hear Dreamweaver has a new "spaces' thing where website owners can interact with some pre-determined templates you** designers set up. How do you find that, if any of you have DWCS4 yet?

** (I don't say "us" web designers yet because the first and last website job I ran was in GoLive a few years ago, and that was a DOG of a job!)

2. davethewave macrumors member

it's like comparing oranges and apples!
    joomla is a CMS (content management system). Dreamweaver is a web design software. you can work with the two together!
    you can use joomla for administer your contents. and if you don't like the joomla "standard design", fire up google, search for a "joomla theme tutorial", open up Dreamweaver and start coding (or designing).
    bye
    DV

3. south8212 macrumors 6502

well said by dave, one suggestion i will make is that if you are looking to let multiple people work on the site and want a cms with alot of templates available i would checkout wordpress. I have built many sites with it and i think its great. Below is my latest...

http://dotpunch.com

4. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I found Wordpress's tutorials to be a dog's breakfast. I'd want to do something, and then had to click here, but to understand that page needed to learn 2 terms and so clicked here and here, and to understand them had to click here................ by the end of it I had 20 pages open on my browser and was still no further towards answering my first question.

It might be great software, but learning it bites.

5. south8212 macrumors 6502

hmm weird i never really found it all that hard and thought it was kind of self explainatory after installation.