Dreamweaver 8 Equivalant for Mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bhansensfd, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bhansensfd macrumors member

I just purchased a Mac Book Pro and am new to the Mac community. I was using Dreamweaver 8 on a PC to edit a website I run for our union. I am good enough to get myself around but am far from a web designer. I am looking for a program for the Mac that will be the same as or close to Dreamweaver 8. I would prefer free if possible as I dont do this as a job and only manage one webpage right now. Thanks for the help.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You could always get Dreamweaver for OS X.
    No one here is going to help you get expensive software for free.

3. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

As I recall, Dreamweaver 8 / Macromedia Studio 8 was a Mac/PC universal disc.

That is, the installation disc had both Mac and PC versions and the serial number worked with either.

At the very least, the serial number will let you use an upgrade version of Dreamweaver CS4.

Beware: Dreamweaver CS4 is quite a bit different than 8 and is intended to be used alongside Photoshop and Fireworks.

Good Luck,
    Keri

PS. I used my Studio 8 serial for an upgrade to CS4 web bundle upgrade (for Mac)... it's just fine!

4. bhansensfd thread starter macrumors member

I am not looking to get expensive software for free or illegally, but thank you for assuming the worst right away. As I said I only manage one website and it is very minimal so I would like to try to not spend any money or as little as possible. Now that we have that cleared up, I am looking for something similar to Dreamweaver that may be out there for free. I am trying the BBEdit trial to see if I like it but it only allows to edit code and doesnt show the changes to the webpage as you make them, as with Dreamweaver.

5. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Under the Markup menu there's a "Preview in BBEdit" option that will give you a window showing your code and updates as you modify your code.

7. bhansensfd thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for making an attempt to and actually helping out someone who needed it.