Dreamweaver 8 keeps failing to do FTP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 18, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I am currently working on rebuilding my personal website. Gotta say I love Dreamweaver 8. Previously I was using CoffeeCup's FREE HTML Editor which is shitdows only, And it was limited compared to Dreamweaver. The only thing that drives me CRAZY with the entire program is that I have to go into my website settings, and click on 'Test Settings" and when i get the confirmation that it connected successfully to the FTP Server, I can then save the site progress to the server. However, I have to do this every time i finish a page. I constantly get "Sever Timeouts" if i do not do what is mentioned above before i go to save every changes to any page.

Anyone else experience this? And before it's suggested no, I have not tried FileZilla and I do not want to store the website content locally so I'm not going to use that.

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I have the vague memory of having this issue years ago when I used Dreamweaver - I quickly moved to the accepted practice of having the site mirrored locally then FTPed separately. You said you don't want to do this but it's the much preferred method - editing a website live is asking for things to go wrong.

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well that is how i did it back when using CoffeeCup HTML Editor, and I used LeechFTP to upload it. I just dont like the idea of it stored locally because a HDD failure is why my site was taken down to begin with

----------

i'm not anti FileZilla just never used it before IIRC when i tried it on Linux YEARS ago i found it complicated and just ran LeechFTP via Wine

5. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

Well mirroring your site from your HDD is how Dreamweaver really operates by default, and it's not like a HDD failure puts you out of business—just fix your local issue and pull down the site (you should have another local or offsite backup as extra insurance anyhow.)

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I used to use Filezilla to SFTP into my iPod Touch when I was 8 on 'shitdows' not hard to do at all.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Filezilla is simple now.

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

where can i get one that works on PPC?