Dreamweaver and MySQL on GoDaddy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arkmannj, Nov 16, 2009.

1. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows hot to get Dreamweaver CS3 connected to a GoDaddy MySQL database ?

I've been trying for a while and I just can't seem to get it.
    I can get Navicat connected just fine, but not Dreamweaver.

Just for informations sake
    Mac OSX 10.6.2
    Dreamweaver CS3
    MySQL Database 5.0 hosted by GoDaddy

2. phranqnmd macrumors newbie

Arkmannj!!

Howdy! I am trying to connect with you to ask your help. I have been very impressed with your posts. I am a MAC geek but being a physician I can't compare with you IT peeps. Congrats on being a MAC IT guy BTW.

Anyway I need help with regard to your great post on using the MAC MYST Real 3d program on my new MACBOOK PRO 17" with SL. I followed your advice the best I could. Installed Real Myst. Used my toast 10titan. to make make a disk image (I think). Downloaded your REAL MYST fix patch but being a .sit I could not open and so am stuck. Although I guess I could run this in BOOT CAMP I am using your post as an educational opportunity to delve further in the Power of the Mac and Toast. Thank you for your time!

Please respond here if you can...
    Phranqnmd@gmail.com

3. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Hey all I got this working.
    Note: This only works for Databases created after following the steps, if you have a current one you want access to, I'd suggest doing a backup, following these steps then delete the database(s) and recreate it/them.

the key was to do the following:
    1) Login to GoDaddy
    2) Under "My Products" select "Hosting"
    3) Next to the domain you want to modify click "Manage Account"

* You should now be in the Hosting Manager / Hosting Control Center
    4) Under the "Settings" category select the "SSH" option
    5) Follow the steps to enable SSH (be sure to read all the information)

* Do the following After your databases/domains have been moved to the Secure servers.

6) Go back to the main screen in the Hosting Manager/Hosting Control Center
    Under databases select your database type (I only have MySQL so steps for MS SQL may vary slightly)

7) Create a new database, you'll now notice an option that says "Allow Direct Database Access" Select 'Yes' and fill in the rest of the information as appropriate.

8) Once the Database has been created click on the edit button for that database (pencil icon) Copy the host name.
    Something like "MyDatabase.db.1234567.SomeServer.com"
    you will use this to put in you MySQL servername within DreamWeaver, but also add a colon and 3306 on the end so it's like this:
    "MyDatabase.db.1234567.SomeServer.com:3306"

9) fill in your Database name, UserName and password within DreamWeaver and you should be set.

I know these instructions are not perfect (particularly my grammer, so please forgive, but I hope folks will find the information useful.

Best,
    ~Ark

Hi Phranqnmd,
    I'm glad you found the information useful and I'd love to respond, but I hope you won't mind that I'm actually going to respond in the thread the RealMyst steps are in, because I'm sure other folks may be running into the same problem and I'd like them to be able to find the solutions too :)

original thread in is Here

4. Ibneiah macrumors newbie

Having some troubles despite trying to follow instructions

Hi Armkmannj. Thanks for sharing your info regarding this issue as I too am facing the same trouble.

I've tried following your steps guide but still having no success.

I am using Dw (Dreamweaver) CS5, and a Direct Database Access GoDaddy MySQL database account.

Your guide does not specify how you set up the 'Testing Server' in Dw, as this seems to be where I am having problems.
    I am able connect to the database using the MySQL Administrator software (MySQL team's officially supported remote database admin utility). This utility indicates the DB's server name and the port number (3306).

If you could be so very kind, please create a thorough screenshot or video tutorial that covers the precise steps from Dw Site Setup onwards.
    If you could star from the very beginning using a blank/fresh Dw to start with that would be excellent.

Thanks and take care.

5. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Hi Ibneiah,

I don't have time to put up screenshots right now, I'll try to later though.
    Here's a quick list of the settings I have.

Site Setup:

* Remote Info:
    Access: FTP
    FTP host: ftp.MySite.com
    Host directory: /Site/
    Login/Password: <My GoDaddy FTP Login Name/Password>

* Testing Server:
    Server Model: PHP MySQL
    Access: FTP
    FTP Host: ftp.MySite.com
    Host Directory: /Site/
    Login/Password: <My GoDaddy FTP Login Name/Password>
    URL Prefix: http://www.MySite.com/site/

Databases:
    MySQL Connection
    Connection Name: <MyConnectionName> (whatever you want it called in DreamWeaver)
    MySQL Server: <MyDataBaseName>.db.<1234567>.<SomeServer>.com:3306
    User name: <MySQL Username>
    (which I think for GoDaddy is usually the same as your database name)
    Password: <My DB Password>
    Database: <MyDataBaseName>

6. Ibneiah macrumors newbie

I followed carefully the steps you provided. However, still getting the same error 'An undentified error has occurred'.

Ive enabled SSH and created a new database after that.

I think it might be because I dont actually have a database set up locally. Are you running server software and a MySQL database linked somehow to your local content/site in Dw?

Stumped :confused:

But huge thanks for your helpfulness.

7. Ibneiah macrumors newbie

I found out the solution...

Use a better web host :)

I've quickly discovered that GoDaddy is useful for domain registration but not much else.

8. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

Sorry for the delay.

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3, so I downloaded the CS5 trial so I could try and do some screenshots, and steps that would more closely mirror what you might need, but so far with CS5 it either locks up or I get "undefined error" (and in some cases I get both)
    I'll keep trying it off an on, it's strange that it works on CS3 but not 5...
    hmmm I guess this and the forced dropping of allowing the developer toolbox to be installed are what's holding me back from upgrading.

9. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

lol sorry I didn't get a GoDaddy solution for you beforehand, but yeah I've thought about switching too. I do like having my billing all together though.

If Comcast wouldn't have a tissy-fit I'd setup and run a personal server from my house, my sites don't get that much traffic but I know a few friends that have tried and Comcast either cut off their service or made them sign up for a much more expensive plan.