Dreamweaver CS3 Mac is TERRIBLE.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chelsel, Sep 24, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

In the past week I've experienced three complete crashes of Dreamweaver CS3 that resulted in total loss of my unsaved work. I've only been using a Mac for about two months but so far it has proven to be the most unstable platform I've ever worked on...

On Windows I never had a crash in Dreamweaver... not sure who's fault it is, Apple or Adobe... but the fact remains that Dreamweaver on the Mac is terrible and to be avoided at all costs!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Dreamweaver for any platform should be avoided by all costs.

Get TextMate.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I use CS3 apps every day and have had no problems at all with crashing.

4. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm just extraordinarily unlucky, or maybe I'm just exercising the program to its fullest... but I've had a total of three crashes on Dreamweaver CS3 and one crash on Fireworks CS3 in less than two weeks.

If this was a life support system the patient would be dead.

I would suggest that you guys frequently save your work.

Cliff.

Re: textmate... does it have any Fireworks, Photoshop, Bridge integration? How about a library of Ajax front-end components...

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i haven't had this problem with dreamweaver. But i've experienced insane crashing with Safari. It' pissing me off. until the day apple creates a computer that doesn't have to use that spinning ball icon, i'll be happy. And why, when an application stops responding, doesn't the os automatically close it, why does it keep spinning and spinning and spinning until you close it.

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Could be a problem with older, non-compatible CS3 plugins? Did you do a full uninstall of any previous versions of Dreamweaver before installing the new version?

Adobe apps seem like the only Mac apps that you have to uninstall before you install the latest.

Adobe: bringing Windows standards to a Mac near you :rolleyes: ;)

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I agree. Dreamweaver CS3 crashes on me too. I have not had the same problem with Fireworks, or any of the other suite apps. Just DW.

Also some funky, buggy stuff, when dragging/dropping snippets onto a text-view page.

After dragging/dropping this snippet, it went into edit snippet name mode, and selected the folder below it:

[​IMG]

After continuing to work this way, I some how managed to end up with 2 folders selected, as if I was holding down the command key:

[​IMG]

Obviously I can just double-click these snippets instead of dragging/dropping, and I do, but it would be nice if I was doing that by choice, rather than necessity.

8. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Have yet to have a problem either.

Couple questions? How much ram do you have installed? What system are you working on? Is it a legal or cracked version?

9. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

Legal, full Adobe Web Premium CS3. Not an upgrade. Installed on a new Macbook Pro 2.4GHz with 4GB of RAM.

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Because a busy application gets done with whatever it is doing and eventually starts responding again. In my experience, if a program really crashes, it is gone in a second with very few exceptions.

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Legal version of Web Premium. Quad-core Mac Pro w/ 4 GB of RAM.

12. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I had similar problem and if you search MR posts, there where similar cases. My situation was I made HTML files outside of DW with Taco HTML so it took a while to read the code, analyze and spew out what it reads. Might be you dont let it process your Ajax stuff?

13. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've never used DW for Ajax stuff, or opened a file that contains Ajax with DW.

14. bairdc3 macrumors newbie

Same issue for me. New install of CS3 Web Premium on a New iMac 24" 2.8 4GB Running 10.5.1

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I have DW cs3 for both Mac & windows i tend to do more stuff in windows
    as ive experienced several crashes will in os x and have lost work due to
    this

16. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Not had a problem with my copy of Dreamweaver CS3 on Tiger 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 or Leopard 10.5.1 and that was the same copy of Dreamweaver.

17. matterhorn macrumors newbie

Solutions Dreamweaver Crash

Apple should buy Adobe to improve software quality!

Listen people do the following - when dreamweaver cs3 crashes at startup: use "tinkertool", activate "hidden files" then go to the folder of your www-project. Delete .DS_Store - start Dreamweaver again! That's all. It cost me 2 days till I found the solution!!! Adobe wasn't able to tell me. Greetings vom Switzerland.;)

18. jive turkey macrumors 6502

19. TwisterMc macrumors newbie

I to have horrible performance issues with Dreamweaver CS3 on a MacBook Pro running 10.4.11. I think it has to do with the Files window as I FTP back and forth a lot. Either that or Contribute compatibility.

I'm testing out the .ds_store idea now. Hope it helps!