Dreamweaver cs3 or cs4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chipandegg, Nov 8, 2008.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

I start a part time college course in a couple of days, and they are teaching Dreamweaver CS3, I think they will start teaching CS4 next year.

I was just wondering, as I haven't purchased it yet, should I go for the newer version?

Are they very different from each other?

Are they quite smilier cs4 is not much of different from cs3?

I just wouldnt want to be in the lesson and regret getting CS4 though I doubt they are very different??

Thanks

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

There are differences in the preview engine and such, but nothing that will cause trouble in a learning context. The core functions and metaphors are the same.

In fact, I would say that CS4 would be a better buy. The things that were improved you will find helpful.

either way, remember that you are not learning dreamweaver, you are learning (hopefully) standards-based web development. If you can grasp those concepts, the interface to them becomes far less important.

3. chipandegg thread starter macrumors regular

chipandegg

very much so, web standards is the way and the correct thing

4. TheKnifeFight macrumors member

get the newer version. and as already stated, the web standards are the important thing..not so much a small difference if any in the software.

5. bielen macrumors regular

I just purchased the Web Premium suite which includes CS4. I also have CS3. CS4 is the way to go, but you should be aware that if you plan on using any Dreamweaver extensions, they may not be fully compatible with CS4 yet.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have CS3 and CS4 and I haven't regretted upgrading to CS4. Dreamweaver CS4 adds Live previewing, that includes previewing Javascript AND PHP, and for that alone I think it's worth the buy.