Dreamweaver CS4 FTP Access Denied error

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by csharpdrummer, Apr 11, 2010.

1. csharpdrummer macrumors newbie

I have a non profit organization.
    We recently purchased Adobe CS 4 Design Suite. I am trying to install and configure Dreamweaver CS4 to maintain our website.

I had Dreamweaver 8 as well as CS4 trial version on a PC which works fine.

We moved everything to a new Mac machine.

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I installed the newly purchased Dreamweaver CS4 on it. When I try defining a new website as suggested here (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamwe....html#WS269BF2C1-74ED-4797-9D9D-6EC283FE7645a)
    and connect using FTP, it connects successfully. It shows me local and remote files.

But if I try to download any file from the website it gives an error such as:
    /sandeepkolte/activities.aspx - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot get activities.aspx. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem.

If I try to upload a file, it gives an error:
    Started: 4/11/10 10:52 PM

about.aspx - error occurred - Access denied. The file may not exist locally, may be open in another program, or there could be a local permission problem.
    File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.
    Files with errors: 1
    about.aspx
    Finished: 4/11/10 10:52 PM

I tried installing FileZilla to check if I can upload/download files from website using a ftp client. And I can successfully do that. As I suggested earlier, I can connect, upload/download files from another PC with a older version as well as new trial version of DW on the same home network.

I also tried toggling Passive/Active mode but it did not work.

Once in a while I get an error about dwsync.xml not found. I used to have check-in/check-out options enabled on older version. I disabled those, unlocked all the files, moved all the files to new server, delete _notes folder from the server. Not sure if it is related to the errors I am getting.

I have no firewall on Mac OS X. Can you please help me figure out what must be causing this and how to resolve it?

SK

2. markoh macrumors newbie

Re: Dreamweaver CS4 FTP Access Denied error

Hi!

I had also the same problem. It took quite long for me to solve it, but for me it were a stupid mistake that happened because of a transfer from PC to Mac.

I copied the site information from my PC and imported them to my Mac. It imported okay, but everytime I tried to open a file on the sites it gave the error.
    I tried to look into the problem on the server side, but never thought it could be a local problem.

Finally it occured to me that it may be an problem with local rights, perhaps some temp directory without write rights. I started to check and I were partly correct. My imported site information had imported the PC directory structure to the Mac and it were not an valid directory structure so it could not be written to.

If I created a new site by hand then everything worked just fine.

So what I did were that I edited the path in the *.ste file to point to correct path on my Mac and imported it again and everything worked fine. Problem solved.

Perhaps this isn't the same problem as the original writer had, but perhaps this can help somebody else if they have the same problem as I did.

Regards