Dreamweaver cs4 size issue.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SOLLERBOY, Nov 19, 2009.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, I'm new to Dreamweaver and have to create a website using it for college. I'm using my new 27" imac full screen to create it and am coming into some difficulty with the size of the pages. I was assuming that the pages would resize on different browsers/systems etc to automatically fit but this does not seem to be the case. It look great on my imac but needs to be scrolled sideways on my macbook. How do i fix the scrolling/size issue? thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a few different ways. You can find various sources on the net if you search for "fluid layouts" or "elastic layouts" for CSS. Generally I specify a width in em measurements, then have a max-width and min-width setup for when people have very large or small browser windows.

Here's a typical bit of CSS I use for mostly fluid layouts:
    Code:
    /* the #all div wraps all of the content on the page */
    #all {
     margin: 0 auto; /* centers content */
     width: 54em;
     min-width: 300px;
     max-width: 95%;
    }
    Creating fluid layouts can be frustrating for some who try to create pixel perfect layouts that can't handle any resizing or the layout breaks because they have a large header image that can't handle the resizing. So don't be surprised if you run into some frustration, but creating fluid-like layouts are nicer for the user in most cases.

3. rickiac macrumors newbie

Dreamweaver/design help

Suggestion, see tutorials from Layers.tv on creating nested Div boxes for your content. Also see tv.adobe.com, Taming the Web with Greg Rewis, for CSS formatting tips. Great sites to keep bookmarked. Also I would keep widths to 1024 or less. and test on all browsers on PC & Mac. You can also use browserlab.adobe.com to test in different browsers. :)

4. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice guys, I was hoping there would be an easier way but that's never the case.:rolleyes: