Dreamweaver CS4 vs CushyCMS...non programmers

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Oct 25, 2008.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

for the non programmers here...we face a problem involving CMS (contact management system). Many of us are not going to be learning php and diving into that world...we're going to let the world of programming "come to fit our needs...the needs of designers who have to do our own programming with the aid of intelligent programs.

Our clients our now demanding that they should be able to make their own modifications...and we can agree as long as they are limited to text modifications and replacing/putting in picts (though even that can be more then enough to destroy a design....).

Two choices have emerged: CushyCMS and Dreamweaver CS4. Both allow the user to modify a site based on restricted areas that the designer designates. Both have pros and cons. Adobe is visually based while CushyCMS you have to go into the code (not very difficult...but annoying for us designers)

For Adobe all users have to go to the Adobe "site".... CusyCMS lets you put in your own GUI, so the client only sees their logo and doesnt really know that they are on the CushyCMS site. But will CushyCMS be around next year?

CushyCMS wants $28/month for an unlimited amount of sites..Adobe has yet to put up their monthly cost

opinions area welcome....I'm trying to decide which way to go...

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've never understood this distinction between programmers and designers. In my mind programmers are just as much designers as... well... designers are.

Personally though if you were going that route I would pick a CMS and learn it inside and out. Make sure you know exactly what bits do what and then you can customise it to your hearts content. If that means CushyCMS then I guess that is what I would pick :).

3. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

this is more definitive...

i've been spending many many hours learning, downloading, putting some clients sites on various cms systems "coding" etc...i've now learned the directions, the restrictions etc

and its come down to the two.....

4. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

i would like to assume you are kidding....

the difference is usually pretty clear...i have yet to meet a programmer who actually knows how to design (good professional design).....there is no question that some can, just as some designers can program, but the two require different mentalities and ways of looking at things

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

On the contrary. Programming IS design. Be that designing an interface to an application, designing an algorithm to best complete the desired task. Designing the initial specification of an idea. Everything to do with programming is design.

Programming is an incredibly creative process.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I agree in a way, but that's not really what he's talking about here. From the perspective of this designer, I don't let the programmers design a single thing. Building modern websites can be a large process that involves a laundry list of people of varying job titles. But, when you strip it down to the bare necessities, there is usually a designer and a programmer, and they have very separate roles.

7. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

i do not belittle the programmers design challanges

perhaps its the definition of design...i'm referring to the visual nature of a website when i use "design." When i do use a programmer and give him/her my presentation/site, etc with a long list of defined requirements i know very well they will have to be creative to make it work...and their design as per my requirements will require them to be creative...but they will not be moving a single pixel from the GUI/animation, etc that i have designed.

8. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

If a project is done properly, a programmer will have no need to design. Designing and programming (web development) are two different things. One is based purely on looks or GUI and the other is based purely on function. If you have all of the functionality wire framed or mocked up for a your programmer, all the programmer has to do is step in and plug in the code. I would never expect my programmer to design a thing. No offense to him, but thats what the graphic designer and UI designer is for.

Pelsar - I don't know if you've given our CMS a chance, but it's something you should look into. As I said in the previous thread, we'll plug in all the code for you and your design is NOT limited to anything.