Dreamweaver cs6 replacement

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by burnsranch, Oct 16, 2015.

1. burnsranch macrumors member

I have a big personal web project and need a replacement for Dreamweaver cs6. I don't want to go to the cloud, and would like feature rich, easy to use replacement LOL. I use a lot of vimeo videos which eliminated the need for embedded video, so maybe I can use a more user friendly program.
    My current site is about 15 logical modular sites linked together. CS6 does not support that very well, so an improvement would be nice.

Any suggestions would be helpful

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Atom, Sublime Text, Brackets, or even Coda, there are other options, check around and see which you like the best. I went with Atom.

Dumped Dreamweaver years ago and never looked back.

3. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Same here I dumped Dreamweaver for Coda and never really looked back. Much simpler and friendlier coding environment. I did buy coda on sale and didn't pay the full $99 and find this to be quite expensive. Atom looks like an amazing alternative and definitely worth consideration. I would start there if I was you.

4. 2457244 macrumors regular

Based on the YouTube embed question, I think this is again a typical 'I'm lost in Dreamweaver land' help kinda topic.

Some people have start working with DW years ago because they thought it was some sort of easy to use Adobe Muse like or iWeb kinda app only because it had a visual editor but instead it's just a code editor like all other editors only Dreamweaver still has a visual editor while all others have moved away from that part/feature because we can now use our browser with Live reloads while writing code in our editors.

To be honest, I don't know any web developer anymore that still uses Dreamweaver. Maybe some dudes have to work with DW because their bosses pay the Adobe CC fee to make sure their designer colleagues can use other CC apps and that's why they maybe have to use it ???
    I don't know, because I can't believe you'd want to use Dreamweaver out of free will.

5. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

I have been using Atom since early beta. I was using Sublime before that. Before that, Coda. Before that, Text Wrangler. if you dig far enough back, Dreamweaver. So far I can honestly say that Atom is my favorite to date.

6. 960design macrumors 68020

I agree with many others. Been using Atom for about 6 months and like the no nonsense, get your work started. After I get a project prototyped I move to production using Coda2. I use both daily. I use Coda because of the easy to push deltas to update server and the quick look source control. I use Atom because of the very quick and efficient adding multiple project modules to simplify copy paste code.

7. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

It depends if you're using to a web IDE perhaps you should look at WebStorm (subjective but I feel this is the best Mac Web IDE available, IDE that is). Far as Text Editors you have to make a clean cup from the hand holding DreamWeaver does and start getting use to more low level down to the metal coding. What I would suggest is to use an IDE or Text Editor that is actively support:

1. IDE: WebStorm (Hands down the best IDE on Mac for WebDev).
    2. Text Editor: Atom (GitHub behind this project and a great wealthy community).
    3. Text Editor: Brackets (I can't speak much about this).
    4. Text Editor: Sublime Text (Lack of support, community seems to be moving to Atom).
    5. Last but now least an honorable mention VS Code (don't expect much community support).

One I feel is great for designers but very subjective is Coda 2.5.13 (I think that's the latest). End of day try them all you have to find what editor or IDE works best for YOU, not what the cool kids say.