Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
K, so here's my question.

Straight from adobe's website (for education purchases):
"A customer may only purchase one copy of any product. Education versions of Former Macromedia products only (Studio 8, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) are intended for instructional and administrative purposes only and may not be used for any commercial purpose."

So it seems that all of the Adobe products (photoshop, etc.) can be used for commercial purposes (for me, that would be selling prints of my digital art). But dreamweaver and other former Macromedia products cannot. Does this mean I can't build my website in dreamweaver if I'm a student or what? I'm just not sure what they mean by that.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is your website a personal site or a business site? If it's a personal site, and you are a student, you would meet their conditions. If it's a business site, but it's your own business, it's not clear to me what their policy means. What is "administrative" use of Dreamweaver, anyway? If you would be using Dreamweaver to do work for hire (people paying you to make their websites), then I think you are outside the terms of their conditions, even as a student.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well, my website is for my art, so it would logically be a personal site, but I may one day sell prints of my art. I wouldn't be selling them directly on the site, I'd use deviantART's print shop (you send them your art, they handle all the printing and shipping, and you get part of the profit). But, I'd have links to be deviantART shop on my site, so is that considered "commercial"? This would be a ways off, so for now I can use it to just build the site I suppose.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There's nothing in their statement that talks about future commercialization of work done while a student. I can't speak for Adobe, but I don't think you are the type of customer they are trying to prevent from using an education version.

If you want to be sure, contact their sales department to ask about the nuances of their policy. That's what I did once when I was in a gray area. I explained the situation and they said I qualified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.