Dreamweaver templates

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by John J Rambo, Jul 2, 2010.

1. John J Rambo macrumors member

Hi Guys, Im using dreamweaver to create a large website. I set a dreamweaver template for a lot of the pages. Ive since made the entire dwt editable and now of course my links wont update. Ive tried making making only the regions that I need editable again but this still sets everything as an exact replica of the template even the regions i have set as editable!

Any help would be great!:confused:

2. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Is your stuff under version control?

If so, go back to a previous version. If not you would be well to learn the lesson now to always use version control - its a bit like always taking backups - but for developers.

If not I'd have to see a few pages.

3. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I highly suggest you do not use templates from any program like that, as the best way I have found is to create a standard blank PHP file with the HTML set as variables, and simply echo them out on each page.

4. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, englishman, its not under version control:(
    how can I show you a page?
    thanks again.

5. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

John

To give me the files:-

Either zip them up and send me a private message via the forum with attachment

or

Attach the zip to a message

or

put the zip on a website url so I can download it

I would be happy to have a look to see if I can help.

6. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

thanks, how can I attach it in a private message?

Im only getting the attachments option in this thread reply!??

dont mean to be a pain!

7. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

You're not being a pain - I'm happy to see if I can help.

Just attach to a thread message and that should be fine.

8. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for taking a look at this for me, you will probably notice a lot of untidy code as this is my first large project.

I have attached the dwt as well as a page created from it.

I dont know why I made the entire dwt editable (it must have made sence to me at the time!)

the site will be updated every couple of days so I really cant update every page everytime I update the site, there will probably be around 130 pages.

thanks again for the help!

Attached Files:

9. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Here's my first attempt.

You've got your template and 2 pages with the pages having one editable regiion. Updating the template updates all pages and updating pages leaves template sections intact.

I basically just created a blank site and used your pages.

I then edited the pages in code view to move the begin editable region to the correct place.

To now update your site might be fiddly.

I am using DW v 8.0.2

I've made the same mistake several times myself so that's how I know about fixing it.

Hints

1) Always take backups of sites before any sitewide change.

2) Many others...

If you need more help let me know.

I've also attached the DW site definition (change suffix to .ste) - you'll need to edit to reflect your local folder structure.

Attached Files:

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Sorry to be a little off your original question, but is there a reason you're not using a content management system (CMS)?

There a lot of free and powerful systems which would, it sounds, be very useful to you... Check out WordPress, or Drupal for example. Assuming you have some knowledge of HTML & CSS, you should find them pretty easy to bend to your will...

/Doug

11. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Design-is (Doug) makes a good point - there are other ways apart from DW templates. Here is one idea of a hierarchy of sophistication of websites and their maintenance:-

1. Simple static HTML or generated
    2. Templates using Dreamweaver or other
    3. PHP includes.
    4. CMS eg Drupal or DOTNETNUKE
    5. Frameworks such as Java Spring, ASP MVC

2, 3 and 4 have been mentioned in this thread

** Nice designs Doug :)

12. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Thank you fellow Englishman ;)

John J Rambo, if you're interested, but haven't dealt with a CMS before, this forum is really useful for helping you get started so don't be afraid to ask questions!

/Doug

13. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

thanks, you guys have been a great help, you're right, I havent use CMS before but I would like to know a little about where to get started?

thanks again!

14. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

Could you tell me what the advantages are of a CMS over using dreamweaver templates?

thanks

15. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Weird, does anyone know why I can't link to "**************************"? Is it considered trolling or flame-bait maybe?

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It was added to the FAQ a while ago.

17. designguy79 macrumors 6502

I guess I could have used MRoogle to find that out, huh? :cool:

18. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Using a CMS basically means that once you've set up the templates / theme for the site, you only have to worry about updating the content.

When set up correctly, a good CMS will take care of (depending on the CMS) creating all the pages, providing a blog, updating links and archives, and many other things like SEO, allowing visitors to engage via the use of the page / post comments & contact forms.

Most CMSs will also allow you to post content via any platform that has internet access, unbinding you from a piece of software on one machine in one location. Often, others are allowed to log on and contribute too (if that's what you want).

A lot of CMSs have a vibrant community around them too, which will be able to help you if you run into problems. This community often creates useful plugins which plug the gaps left in the original software - so if you want to do something but it seems impossible using the system, it's likely that someone else thought the same and created a plugin to perform the action.

WordPress also has a site dedicated to tutorial videos which will prove invaluable to those just starting out: http://wordpress.tv/

Let us know how you get on :)

/Doug