Dreamweaver, will it work?

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I bought Dreamweaver from Macromedia a few months ago, it's working great and I'm thinking about buying a Mac soon. I have a PC right now.
I know it says I can install it twice, only one so far.
Will I be able to install it easily on the Mac along with Windows?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Probably, although its a legal grey area :) Read through the terms and conditions before you do this, that'll tell you whether you are allowed to do this or not.

If your not allowed, dont risk it. If Macromedia suspect somethings wrong then you'll end up out of pocket.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Just keep the software on the main puter you're going use it on. Are you buying a portable or a desktop Mac?

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
_bnkr612 said:
Just keep the software on the main puter you're going use it on. Are you buying a portable or a desktop Mac?
Most likely desktop, Mac Mini.
I'm allowed two installs, legally though. I've only used one.
They said these will either work twice on Windows or twice on Mac, not one on each. I don't see what the difference is though?
How could they do that? Is that even possible?
Besides, why do they care what type of machine it's on, I'm still installing it as many times as some other guy with it installed twice on windows.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Are you sure the disk you have will install on Mac at all? As I'm sure you realise, you can't run windows .exe files on Macs, or Apple .app files on PC's but I imagine you knew that and I am talking to myself... :)

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
mvc said:
Are you sure the disk you have will install on Mac at all? As I'm sure you realise, you can't run windows .exe files on Macs, or Apple .app files on PC's but I imagine you knew that and I am talking to myself... :)
Well when I bought it, it said something to the likes of "Will work on either Windows or Mac. 2 installs allowed. Can install only on one OS though, not both."
I'll look at the box again though. ;)

Edit: Just took the box out from behind the garbage can.
It says both the Windows requirements and Mac Requirements and on the top has both the Mac and Windows symbols...I can't find what I was talking about about two installs though.
Going to check the website if my internet connection will work. :mad:

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
What if I have more than one computer? Does the new license allow me to use the software on multiple machines?
Current Macromedia End-User License Agreements generally allow you to install and use software on a single computer. However, we realize that many customers need to use software on more than one computer, such as a desktop and a laptop. Therefore, the Macromedia license agreement for products that require activation has changed to allow individual users to install a secondary license for non-concurrent use. Product activation allows installation on two machines.

If I install and activate the software on two machines, can more than one person use the software on the second machine?
While you can install and activate your software on two machines, the secondary license is for the exclusive use of the primary user. Allowing an additional person to use your secondary license is in violation of the new End-User License Agreement.

If I install and activate the software on two machines, am I allowed to run both licenses at the same time?
While you can install and activate your software on two machines, The new Macromedia End-User License Agreement (EULA) does not allow concurrent use of the software on two different machines.
It's fine until:
Can I install my MX 2004 product on Macintosh and Windows Machines?
For the MX 2004 family of products, Macromedia now ships Macintosh and Windows installers in the same box. The license that ships with the MX 2004 products allows you to install on either an Apple Macintosh or Microsoft Windows platform. The EULA allows for installation on a primary machine and a secondary machine (home or laptop), but they must be the same platform.

If I install my MX 2004 product on the Microsoft Windows platform first, can I switch my license to the Apple Macintosh or vice versa?
When you activate your MX 2004 product, you will have chosen your primary platform. Once you have chosen the primary platform for your installation, all subsequent installs must be on the same platform. Macromedia does not offer cross platform upgrades at this time.
How can they do this? How will they know and what difference does it make that I don't like Windows and want to switch, they should encourage it. ;)
They're still both my computers. :rolleyes: