Dreamweaver won't let me edit my own code (template botheration)!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by RedTomato, Sep 26, 2007.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hiya,

I'm having some problems with Dreamweaver's templates. I've inherited a site that I have to maintain. Sometimes, when adding or changing code, attributes etc, DW will say:

"You have made changes to code that is not marked as editable. If you retain these changes, they will be lost the next time you apply a template update to this file. Do you want to retain the changes till then? YES / NO"

The funny thing is that sometimes this is just code that I typed or dropped in 5 seconds ago in the middle of an editable region. Sometimes it even comes up if I just want to change something simple about an image I just inserted (like the size or the name)

Also no matter if I press YES or NO, it still instantly reverts what I typed, and sometimes screws up the whole page too. I have to revert back to an old saved version.

This is really frustrating me.

How can I edit my own code?

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Open the page in a browser, copy the code from the source, paste into a blank dreamweaver document.

I cant imagine that not working.

3. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks, that's a good workaround, and I'll do it like that. Sometimes the most obvious ideas are the least visible..

I was hoping someone could explain why the behaviour happens, and how to fix it at source.