Dreamweaver won't open any files?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thouts, Jul 19, 2010.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

Hello,

Not sure why this started to happen, but I built my website and haven't had to change anything for about 3 months. I opened dreamweaver cs5 to make some changes, and none of my .php files would open. No error messages or anything, it just looked like it was going to open the file, then nothing. I thought since I made the site in cs4, maybe for some reason it wouldn't be compatible, so I loaded cs4 back on my computer, does the same thing.

I even went as far as copying the code from a browser, and making a new file from scratch. I saved it, then it wouldn't reopen. Strange, any insights?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Are you able to open the file in other text editors? Check the Console app when you go to open a file and see if any relevant messages appear.

3. thouts thread starter macrumors regular

thouts

I was able to open the files in textedit, thats the only one i checked. I'm not sure what the console app is?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

/Applications/Utilities/Console

5. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am having the same issue, I had console open and nothing popped up when attempting to open files in Dreamweaver.

6. osdesignz macrumors newbie

Dreamweaver won't open any files?

I figured out how to get dreamweaver and CS4 and CS5 to open up my html and Css files. The problem I had was that I recently changed where I had my site root folder. I placed the site under my Portfolio | Files folder. I moved the site back unto my desktop and changed the site root in manage sites back to the desktop also. Then both Dreamweavers started reading the files!

I think there is some weird bug that has to do with the name of the Portfolio | files folder I had placed my website in. Doesn't like the straight bracket is my guess.

Hope this helps. :)

7. rks macrumors newbie

Apparently, an install of Dreamweaver CS3 (mine is currently v9.0 Build 3481) crashes if you edit a file to exactly a multiple of 8,192 bytes. Not a byte more, not a byte less. The chances of this happening are probably fairly small: to edit a file to the exact size at the same moment that DW does some processing and gets upset.