Dress shoes with jeans?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kamera RAWr, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Well, some of you might already be thinking "No way!" and thats fair enough. Problem is I bought some shoes that I'd definitely call dressier without forethought and now I have a pair of very expensive "dressier" styled shoes and I mostly wear jeans. The shoes are very nice indeed, but I just don't think I could pull them off with jeans. Now I know some of you are already thinking "Why don't you just return/exchange them?" Problem is I live 2 hours away from where I purchased them without any way to easily get back to do an exchange.

Basically this thread is already like "Tell me its ok to wear them with jeans" but I really just want some advice as to what I should do.

What are your opinions on dress shoes with jeans?

An added note, I really feel dumb for not having any forethought :eek:

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Can you post a pic of the shoes?

Depending on the level of "fancy" you might be able to wear the shoes with jeans if you have a sweater+shirt combo.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

There are many different definitions of "dressy" shoes. Formal patents with jeans? No way. Anything made by SAS, even their dressiest? No problem. Can you post a picture or link or description (brand/model)?

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

If the jeans are crisp, new and dark coloured (darker is dressier), I think it's okay - pair it with a button-down or Rock concert t-shirt with a blazer and it's okay... And always wear a nice belt if you do.

dress shoes with worn, stonewash jeans: No.

6. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ok, here is the link for the shoes. The pictures on the website aren't the greatest, but you get the idea.

:eek:

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

They don't look that dressy to me. Other than the shine, they look fairly casual. I think they are too casual in style and look (almost like a running shoe) to be worn with slacks, frankly. They would look OK with jeans. Tone down the shine a little and they might even look good.

8. 7254278 macrumors 68020

My older brother has those exact shoes and he wears them with dark jeans all the time, paired with a nice sweater/dress shirt/suit jacket they look very good.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They are not what I'd consider dress shoes. They are what I consider fugly. :D

They can be worn with jeans, no problems.

10. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I was thinking of something along these lines as well. Although, with such an expensive shoe, I'm worried about damaging the leather. I'm not sure how I'd go about toning it down.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

+1.

12. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

all you need is a nice coat and shirt and you can look like a venture capitalist. I have brown dress shoes that a wear with stone washed jeans but with black you need something darker.

13. jizwood1 macrumors member

Really curious about what's that shoes look like. Personally I think it should be ok to waer them with jeans.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Dress shoes with jeans?

Go for it. Just be confident.

And as a rule, never buy anything so expensive that you'll be afraid of damaging it in normal use. "Expensive" is a relative term.

15. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Go watch what not to wear and read askmen.com/fashion. Don't look for approval on the internet... they are nice comfortable everydayers from Prada. Great shoe, its cut alot like a classic Puma football boot. Don't worry about it so much, you're too conscious about cost. If you're worrying that they won't look good with jeans or your wardrobe, your jeans suck. A good jean can be worn nearly any time, and with your good shoes. Speaking of good shoes, go get some more. Don't be afraid to throw things away - and by throw things away, I mean donate them to the needy. If your jeans look like they belong in a Skid Row video, please throw them in the trash though. The t-shirts that belong there, keep them. Don't necessarily wear them every day, but keep them if they're in good condition. When building a new wardrobe - and yes, it sounds like its time for you to do that - keep it timeless. And don't be afraid to ask questions...

16. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

I got engaged while wearing shoes that I would and do wear with my claiborne suit. She didn't care, and neither did I. As long as they go with the ensemble, you should be fine:apple:.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Looks good to me. Wear them with jeans. :)

Generally, I'll wear only 2 types of jeans. Everything else exists, but isn't really necessary for me.

Bootcut: Looks cool when you want to be casual, and looks good with all casual shoes. I wouldn't treat them as dressy clothes though.

Straight leg: Looks much dressier than bootcut jeans. Dark jeans look dressier than regular blue jeans, but not always. If you want jeans to actually look dressy, they need to be dark AND straight-leg. Have you ever seen formal trousers, Dockers khakis, or suit trousers with a bootcut, flare, or low-rise option? No, because they'd look silly. Straight-leg "FTW", as they say.

Wear the shoes with dark, straight-leg jeans. :) You can wear bootleg jeans with them as well, and many people wouldn't bat an eyelid. However, if you were to stand beside someone in straight leg jeans who was wearing black leather dressy shoes, you wouldn't look as good.

18. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I wear dark wash skinny boot cut jeans with my dress shoes all the time, along with a dress shirt and blazer/ v-neck sweater

I like simple plain toed thin wooden bottom shoes usually. Simple discreet buckle or slip ons

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"its ok to wear them with jeans"

plus you'll prob scuff them up soon enough just by wearing them and then they wont look so "dressy new"

20. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I say wear 'em. You can always hurl them at a foreign head of state if something goes wrong ;).

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

?? If you like them, wear them.

Remember to always wear white socks with black shoes.

22. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Non, mon chap - Match the socks to the pants; Don't match the socks to the shoes (as is a common mistake). In the case of blue jeans, white works best you're right on that one.

23. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

And just for the record, the dressy/casual mixture is (usually) sexy as hell... Just sayin' :cool:

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I wouldn't unless you want to look stupid haha.

Its like the kids at school dances wearing dress pants and sneakers.

If its a type of brown loafer (depending on the style), boat shoe, or driving shoe of sorts that is fine.

Those shoes are just too dressy and I don't really like the combination of jeans and black shiny shoes. Brown would be better.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Generally agreed with all the things said above, but FWIW, one of my favorite suits has low rise pants.

I don't really understand Prada men's shoes recently... although I'd have to see that pair in person before I cast judgment. But with the right outfit overall, obviously including dark jeans that have been ironed properly, I could see them working.

They're kind of on the edge, because they're towards patent in terms of the leather finish (unless I'm missing the boat on the picture) but they have rubber soles. My only patent leather shoes are these, which I bought about 1.5 years ago, but I wouldn't wear them with jeans. But the ones you listed, I might....