Drill-down application structure [img]

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Danneman101, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Danneman101 macrumors 6502

Hello,

Im planning to construct a simple drill-down application with a book-like structure (MAIN => CHAPTER (1-n) => PART (1-n) -> PAGE (1-n)) accoding to this schema:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I want to drill down from MAIN to CHAPTER(i) , and from CHAPTER(i) to PART (j), all by using a navigationBar.

When reaching PART (j), I want to be able to traverse the pages (PAGE (1-n)) in that section by using a tabBar at the bottom of the screen.

Ive gone trough a couple of tutorials but am still trying to wrap my head around some core aspects:

1) I understand I need a NavigationController (by default "RootNavigationController" if chosing a Navigation-based project) for the drill-down from and to MAIN <-> CHAPTER (1-n).

But what about the natigation between CHAPTER (1-n) <-> PART (1-n)? Do I use the same NavigationController here, or do I need to construct a new one for each of the CHAPTERs?

2) Is it possible to use a use a ToolBar for navigation at the bottom of the hierarchy to switch between PAGE (1-n)? The reason I ask is that Ive come across a tutorial saying a NavigationBar may be nested within a TabBar, but not the other way around. This despite the fact that the photo-view application i iPhone does in fact use a TabBar to switch between photos at the lowest level of the hierarchy (ie. it is nested within the NavigationBar).

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

2. Garrett macrumors regular

Mind me asking what program you used for that?

3. Danneman101 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Garret!

Sorry if I was unclear, but Im trying to do this in XCode with the iPhone sdk.

Or did you mean the schema-figure? Just paint in Winxp :)

4. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

5. Danneman101 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi sfwalter, and thanks for the answers :)

1) So you mean that a projects single controller instance will automatically understand which level of the hierarchy it is in, and push downwards (alternatively pop upwards) to the next level? Thats pretty great :)

2) Thanks for the link - that will come in handy. However, Ive been messing around with the code-examples supplied by apple dev center, specifically the "PageControl"-example. Can I use either PageController or TabController at the lowest level? And if so, are there any pros/cons to either one?

6. rockman macrumors newbie

this is similar to my current project, and I am having a problem, wondering if anyone has an idea on what I am missing.

I have a navigationController in which I push a tabBarcontroller, showing two views. (both of which work perfectly), What I am having trouble wiring up is that I want to pushViewController a different view, thereby drilling down antoher level, Leaving behind the tabBar view. I am using IB mainly, but just need this to finish this project.

When I "click" on the tableView row that is in the TabBar, nothing happens. The only thing I can think is that the message isnt reaching the navBar. I have tried sending a message from the app delegate without luck as well.

anyone have any ideas on things I should make sure that I have in place? thanks

- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tv didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath{

[self.navigationController pushViewController:testImageController animated:YES];

7. rockman macrumors newbie

Fugured it out, wasnt using escapsluation well.
    [self.tabBarController.navigationController pushViewController:testImageController animated:YES];