Drink damage (yeah i know, but there is more)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kagoatweed, Nov 20, 2008.

1. kagoatweed macrumors newbie

So I bought a Macbook about a year ago... and I have had nothing but problems with it. My cd-drive stopped working once, I got it replaced (warantee), then it died again, but I rarely use it so I didn't bother with it until my harddrive died and I couldn't DO anything about it... I got them both replaced and then went abroad. I asked apple to replace my computer before I left because it had fulfilled the 3 strike rule, but they said they wouldn't replace it then because i had called in my drive and my harddrive as one problem... so I went to Germany and after a couple weeks started having trouble with kernel panics. I called again and did the software fix, but it didn't work, so I was told to assume it was a hardware problem. They were willing to replace it, but because I am in Germany they couldn't send me a new American machine replacement without it costing me some $500 in shipping (because the item being shipped is so expensive it has to be insured). I was supposed to stay here a year, so I was told that if I went through with the plan to replace it, I'd be compensated for the shipping costs... they just weren't sure how. The woman said she would get back to me, she never did...

Plans changed, and it turns out I'm returning to the states in January. I called Apple again and I told them I'd suffer through the kernel panics until then, then give the computer in, prove there are problems with the logic board (because that's the only reason i can think that my visual drive would die 2x, my harddrive once, and start having kernel panics...), and get a replacement (with a pretty new aluminum macbook!).

This morning I went to take a shower and a drink that was sitting a good 3 feet away from my computer got knocked over by the crossbreeze (tall bottle). I didn't hear it, and when I got back from my shower I realized that my computer was soaked... My screen was still on, so I figured it hadn't gotten inside (i have a key cover), but when i went to get my plastic cover off, the screen went blue. I quickly turned the power off and flipped it upside down to take the battery out and the power had come undone at some point... and now it's sitting drying out. I tried to turn it on, no luck. I will leave it to dry completely, but I fear that the iced tea (curse you, delicious crystal light!) has been the last chapter in the story of the life of my Macbook.

Here's the thing. Apple was going to replace it anyway. It's on their records that I was to give in my computer anyway to get it replaced, they just needed to check to make sure there really was a problem with the logic board...

Is there ANY hope whatsoever that Apple will be able to tell that there were previous problems with the logic board, before the great flood? Is there any hope that they will still replace it? I'm computer-less until I get home regardless (internet café ftw), but it's a matter of if I'm going to have to put away the money for a new computer... :(

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I'm sorry but Apple will blame everything on the liquid damage.
    Just because you "told" them you had problems before doesnt mean anything. You can tell them anything you want but it comes down to what they "see" when your computer gets to them.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Attempting to turn on the machine likely shorted out some of the components inside...

I would just let it dry out for as LONG as possible. This will ensure the most likely chance of still getting a replacement. Otherwise, you might be out of luck.

4. kagoatweed thread starter macrumors newbie

But I have it on record that there were problems beforehand. Does that not help me AT ALL?? D:

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I would assume the Macs have some sort of "sticker" as cell phones do alerting the manufacturer of any possible liquid damage

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

For some reason I thought only MacBook Pros had those.... :/

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I understand what your saying, but Apple will look at the liquid damage and dismiss any claims that you have made prior.
    Its an unfortunate situation but im afraid your going to have to pay for the repairs

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

weather we know about it or not im sure alot of electronics have those stickers

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think you're SOL. There is no way to prove when the liquid damage happened.

10. kagoatweed thread starter macrumors newbie

But there's always the fact that it *was* working before and that it's *not* working now...

*sigh* I'm just hoping it will start working again and that after I get home they will still replace it... :(

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

This is what ive been trying to say. For all Apple knows, the spill is why you started having problems in the first place

12. kagoatweed thread starter macrumors newbie

so even if i call them now and say 'oh ****, get this on record, i spilled something on my comp and now it's not working...'

i mean, ive been completely honest with apple up to this point... it's such bull that they can't... help me now. D:

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I feel bad for you. But It doesn't matter what any of us say. It's what the CSR at Apple thinks that matters. Give it a shot when you return in January, may be you'll get lucky.

14. kagoatweed thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks. i have to go now, thanks for all the replies :)

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

It doesnt matter what we say???? Anyone with general electronic experience knows that people LIKE APPLE protect themselves for reasons like this. Apple WILL know something was spilled in it and they will blame that for the damage. It sucks but its the reality of the situation.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I agree. But at the same time, I won't bet money that Apple WILL NOT replace his computer. He'll never know until he tries. I just don't want him to be talked out of even giving it a shot.

17. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

no doubt its worth a shot! I just highly doubt they would replace the computer. You are right, it is worth a shot. He wont be in any worse of a position from trying.

18. kagoatweed thread starter macrumors newbie

first off, *her computer. i am female. *nervous laugh*

second off, it works again!! :D I hope it keeps working between now and the end of the year, and maybe when i take it back they'll still replace it. if not, i buy a new one and have a $1000 hole in my pocket. Extra hours at work is all that means... lots of extra hours.

I have the private numbers of a couple people higher up in the chain of customer support in Apple who have been dealing with me for months now... I might be able to work something out (maybe even a discount on a new one if i choose to buy a new Mac) with them.

Regardless, thanks everyone for your help. :)

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Wonderful, missy :)
    I wouldn't bring up the spill unless they ask ;) They will hopefully send you the replacement first, before you send in your MB. If not, there's always ebay...

Good luck.