Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
You know, this topic is funny because I just about picked up a bottle the other day.

I really like the Oliver rose wine, and I was going to get some, and I saw they had what they call 'Camelot Mead.'

I was going to get that, but decided not to. From that I read about it, a lot of people say it's not 100% similar to an actual mead, but is still very good.

I'd like to know some good choices as well. Great thread!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I tried a couple of varieties for the first time the weekend before last – I can't say I was keen though, the taste reminded me a little too much of cough medicine for my liking. I guess it's a bit of an acquired taste, my friend who we were out with certainly enjoyed hers.

I couldn't tell you the brewer, or where you could pick it up (You don't list your location but I'm guessing you're not in the UK), but in the interests of helping another forum member I suppose I could head back down the pub one night this week – purely in the interests of research, you understand... :p

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Is mead very popular in the UK, or is it as hard to come by as in the US? I've just started hearing about it, which surprises me 'cause it's been around for so long. Why don't I hear about it as much as wine, beer, and liquor if it's been around about as long?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
phreakout13 said:
Is mead very popular in the UK, or is it as hard to come by as in the US? I've just started hearing about it, which surprises me 'cause it's been around for so long. Why don't I hear about it as much as wine, beer, and liquor if it's been around about as long?

Yeah, I think it is. They talk about Mead a lot in Harry Potter. I had never heard of it before reading the books.

L

Lau

Jaffa Cake said:
I tried a couple of varieties for the first time the weekend before last – I can't say I was keen though, the taste reminded me a little too much of cough medicine for my liking.

Sounds like Buckfast. :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
rickvanr said:
Yeah, I think it is. They talk about Mead a lot in Harry Potter.

Not really... You have to hunt for it here too; it certainly not available in most pubs. I hadn't noticed the references in Harry Potter particularly. I can only think that perhaps one of the teachers ordered it in the Prisoner of Azkaban. I thought they drank Butterbeer in Hogsmeade.

Something worth trying is Winter Pimms - delicious... instead of mulled wine.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The odd thing about mead is that the base ingredients, honey and water, make a liquid with no flavor. All the flavor comes from extraneous ingredients. For this reason, there will be a wide variation in flavors, as brewers are likely to throw in anything from orange peels to old socks. When I made it, I used lemon peels, ginger and a little anise. It was drinkable, but not particularly exciting.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Applespider said:
Not really... You have to hunt for it here too; it certainly not available in most pubs. I hadn't noticed the references in Harry Potter particularly. I can only think that perhaps one of the teachers ordered it in the Prisoner of Azkaban. I thought they drank Butterbeer in Hogsmeade.
Mead is a very traditional drink, so that's probably why it gets a mention or two in Harry Potter – trying to evoke an 'olde worlde' flavour. As Applespider says it isn't that easy to come by – you do see it more in the traditional 'real ale' pubs more than anywhere else.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
You could just brew it yourself. That's what I do since it's almost impossible to find anywhere around here. It can be time intensive, since at some point you have to check on it daily, but it's almost fun. It also makes for wonderful Christmas presents.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
TBR said:
I recently started to drink Mead after trying it on the Island of Lindasfarne off the coast of Northumberland (UK) Fabulous drink.

http://www.lindisfarne-mead.co.uk/

Apparently it's one of the best.

UNfortunatly it's UK delivery only.

Very interesting trivia on mead on the website. I also learned a little bit of history too.
It only makes sense that the importation of cheap sugar rang the death knell for traditional mead. No more reason to keep and tend the beehives when cheap sugar is abundant. But it really seems a lost art and there is a lot to making really good mead; it's a lot like winemaking and takes the hand of a mixmaster to make a work of art.
Nowadays it's all brews, ales, and scotch, and bourbon.
A lot of stuff gives me a bad hangover the day after. I'm looking for stuff that won't do that. I guess I'm getting old.
The only stuff that doesn't give me a bad hangover is Guinness draught; I'm still searching in the hard liquor world.
For some reason, wine gives me a terrible hangover and pounding headache.

Listen to me, I sound like a boozehound. I'm more of a connoisseur and looking to broaden my tastes.

This looks like a great site to further learn about mead
http://www.gotmead.com

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
^ wine has the same effect on me. It's almost an instant headache.

(Gotta love the Guinness though!)

The best hard liqour I've ever had, which did not give me any hangover at all, is Un Emile 68 - an absinthe distilled in France.

Even though it is 136 proof, it has a lot of herbal qualities that, while getting you very drunk very fast, it is a different kind of "drunk".

It is a very clear-headed, awake kind of intoxication. You feel the effects of the alcohol quite strongly, yet you don't get groggy, tired, dizzy, or any of that.

If it wasn't about $120 total (Un Emile plus shipping), I'd have a bottle in stock at all times.

All quality absinthes have this kind of clear-headed intoxication. The Jades are an excellent choice, but a little more expensive.

If you like to experience new drinks and things, I highly recommend giving absinthe a try! (But stay away from Sebor, King of Spirits, and Le Fee - that's mass-marketted fake stuff)

If it's not Un Emile, a Jade (Nouvelle Orleans, Eduard), or Francois Guy, it's probably not worth buying. Check out http://www.absintheonline.com for a great selection.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
TBR said:
I recently started to drink Mead after trying it on the Island of Lindasfarne off the coast of Northumberland (UK) Fabulous drink.

http://www.lindisfarne-mead.co.uk/

Apparently it's one of the best.

UNfortunatly it's UK delivery only.
We ventured back into the mead-serving pub last night – the brand they sell is indeed Lindasfarne, so you can add my friend's recommendation to TBR's (and my friend has probably drunk everything going that's alcoholic, so hers is a good recommendation ;)).

Pity that it's UK delivery only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.