Drinking coffee is actually good?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shyam09, Mar 7, 2011.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

so i will paste the link and also quote it too, for those who dont wnat to click the link:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/heal...not-quit-coffee-2460820/?posted=1#postcomment

2. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

i will provide more of my opinion later one, but for the most part, i think the data is a bit biased in a sense. many people drink coffee, and i won't be surprised if the data collectors actually drink coffee themselves. But as a student in psychology, this seems very important as it only gets coffee vs. non coffee. it doesnt say a thing about fruit/vegetable juices, etc. things that well really matter.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In my opinion, you can eat and drink everything with reasonableness. Even water can kill you if you drink it too much. Personally, I don't drink coffee. I can drink a couple of cups a month but that's mainly to kill some time (out with friends). I prefer to avoid all (chemical) addictions. I can be energetic without caffeine and I like it that way.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

do not read much into study because there is supporting evidence of it going both ways.

That being said I drink several cups a day of it and am fully addicted to caffeine to the point that I get head ache if I do not get my morning cup of java.

5. michael.lauden, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Yep. If you are active - you are usually full of energy. i.e runner's high. You don't need caffeine for energy, but I do enjoy a glass of soda when I go out for lunch or dinner. I am also a vegetarian so I will naturally have more energy.

I am a tea drinker. Usually ~5 cups a week or so, sometimes more. Great for mornings and for relaxation/something to sip on while studying - and it's something that is way better for you than coffee. I am one of those jerks you see on the side of the road riding his little bike in lycra. I ride about ~100 miles a week on a good week w/school+work and I have lost 25 pounds over the last year (although I was never overweight according to my BMI - I'm a big guy 6'3 & 170lbs now).

Most of this is all about caffeine. Funny how they didn't mention anything about boosting metabolism or what happens when you start drinking 3 cups a day (caffeine addiction), or that very few people drink it black - drinking 3 cups a day would be 1/10th of my daily calorie intake with light cream and sugar - not counting the fat in cream, doesn't sound very healthy for me.

With that being said, I agree with hellhammer in his point of everything in moderation. There is no secret to being healthy. Eat right and exercise a few times a week. Drinking coffee isn't going to help america's obesity problem.

OoOOO antioxidants?!?!?! it must cure cancer! who would have thought a bean has antioxidants??

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think drinking coffee is a good thing :)

I usually down a few cups in the morning.

Like everything in life however, moderation is the name of the game. Drinking large quantities cannot be good for anyone.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

haha am I missing something here?

everything in moderation - but i down a few cups in the morning. that's not moderation, that's indulgence.

+ that IS a large quantity - and you're right - it isn't good for anyone!

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I have the odd cup every now and then, but I often add lots of sugar to it so it probably makes it worse, but then again, I don't drink tea or coffee much at all.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Be careful, you can also drown in dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff is toxic ;)

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who gives a ****? Seriously, I'm tired of this is good for you, oops, no it's bad for you, then again, it's good for you. Everything in modertion.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ This. But frankly, I'll drink my 2-3 cups a day and if it kills me then fine. I do a lot more in life that is worthy of killing me, I'm hardly worried about silly coffee.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Exactly. I am waiting for some scientist to prove that vitamins in gigantic quantities cause cancer or something similar (I know huge doses of vitamin C like some of those ass-stupid tablets you can buy can eventually cause significant harm).

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I need at least 2 mugs (2 x 12oz) of the junk to get my heart started in the morning.

If it 'xplodes, well there are worse ways to go. I've seen most of them. ;)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why should I worry about the coffee I had this morning when it came as a part of a Burger King breakfast meal? The coffee is the least of my worries. :p

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You do understand the concept about straw and a camel, don't you??

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Water? Bleh... People bath in that stuff.:p Give me a hot cup of green tea--no sugar, no cream, no milk. I'm of the opinion that if you have to add that stuff to your tea, you're drinking the wrong tea. I have a big cup (32oz) every day during lunch.

18. Xeperu macrumors 6502

It's needed for me to life! Without my 4 espresso before hitting my daily commute I would surely crash my car.

Coffee saves!

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While in general I agree with the "everything in moderation" argument, and also am pleased to see further justification for the consumption of coffee, the truth is, I like coffee so much, I don't much care what the evidence suggests.

Indeed, even if the accumulated evidence pointed in a diametrically opposite direction, and while I might, as a consequence, consider curtailing my coffee consumption, I doubt I would ever willingly forego the sheer unadulterated joy of sampling or savouring the first cup of coffee of the morning as there are few pleasures in life to equal it.

Cheers

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Over the years, they've suggested coffee is good, then it's bad, then it doesn't matter, then it's good, bad etc.

I'm of the school of thought that it does have some mediocre benefits, but you probly have to buy it in good quality to notice the difference. Cheap coffee can be treated with some nasty stuff.

Not as good as white tea. :)

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Oxygen us actually quite corrosive and shortens our lives whenever we are exposed to it.

22. particlebeam macrumors newbie

I have arrived at the point where I don't trust anything an "expert" says. They flip positions more than a dying fish.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Ditto. Except I'm not really into moderation...