Drinking the Apple Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chilidipper, May 18, 2008.

1. chilidipper macrumors newbie

I was an early adopter of iPods and got hosed on the battery problems and lack of support for iTunes. Several friends for many yrs have suggested that I buy a Mac to do my video, photo and sound editing. After frying a couple of PC's and struggling with Windows based software (Pinnacle, Adobe and WMP)
    I am diving into the deep end of pool. Have been fighting the video issues in windows converting to a mobil player. I have gone as far to join an Anti Apple secret society (Anything but iPod.com) I SURRENDER!!
    Just bought my first Mac (iMac 24" 2.8 with 2GB of RAM) So far this has been a great experience in the set up. I love the UI and the whole user experience.

I have had a little frustration in relearning the system. I am confident that will come with more familiarity.

Just opened my .Mac acct and will be plugging in the Apple TV today. I do have a couple questions.....
    Need to upgrade the memory to 4GB. It has 2GB and I am assuming that there are 2x 1 GB boards inside machine?

Regarding the iPod- still need to buy one and have looked at the iTouch and thoughts?

2. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Good stuff, eh?

Nothing like a nice, tall glass of Steve Jobs miracle juice!! :D Welcome to the family. Always glad to see another convert. The more time you spend in our side of the camp the funnier those PC/MAC commercials get.

If yours came equipped with 2g already, I do believe you have 2x1gb sticks in your machine. Although it might be possible that it has 1x2gb stick. Mine came with 1gb, so can't be sure. Replacing it is incredibly easy. Did mine before ever powering it on for the first time, no problems whatsoever. Good luck!

On the iPod front, it's going to be a matter of storage I believe. Yes the iTouch's whole interface is fantastic, used to own an iPhone myself, but it only holds 32gb max. If your doing allot of photo/video editing and maybe wanting to sue the iPod as a device to give a small example of that work. The larger storage of a regular iPod might do you better. Just an opinion though.

Again, welcome, and hope you enjoy your experience more each day the way the rest of us do here.

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I think they keep getting stupider. The peak was the "cancel or allow" one. That was funny because it was accurate. I think now they've started to make apple users look like pompous a$$holes. Having said that, I own an iMac, MBP, iPhone and 2 ipods and unless something drastic changes, don't plan on ever buying another windows machine.

Anyway, chilidipper, glad to see you decided to take the plunge. I'm happier I did every day. I have to use XP at work and it's so nice to come home to my iMac.

If you want to see what you have as far as RAM. Click the apple in the top left, then about this mac, then more info, then memory. It should show both slots and you'll be able to tell if you have 1x2GB or 2x1GB. More then likely 2x1GB.

As far as an iPod, I have a 5th gen 80GB that I use to store everything. Just sync it and go. Then I use my iPhone (8GB) for a narrowed down selection and a few select playlists. (the smart playlists are awesome for this)

I think in your case it comes down to how much storage you think you'll need.

4. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I am glad you love yours, I have the previous 2.8 C2E, and love it, it never gets old for me. Idk, some people get bored with computers, I don't see that happening with my iMac for another year and a half or so.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Honestly, even if something drastic did happen, I wouldn't go back to windows. I'm happy with ubuntu as a second alternative. Apple by itself hasn't done a very good job marketing themselves with the "Get a Mac" campaign, IMO. But, Microsoft has done Apple an incredible favor by releasing Vista, and not fixing it, only to blindly try and get people to believe it was such a huge success.

6. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Good point on the Vista comment. I've never used Ubuntu, but I think you're right. If something drastic did happen, I would probably give that whirl before Windows again.

7. Suzatlarge macrumors newbie

Suzatlarge

Yep. I'm a computer user and my attitude has always been that I don't give a rat's *ss about Microsoft vs. Apple, it's not a religion fer pete's sake, it's technology. And since my employers always have had PC systems, and I was comfortable using them, I've owned and used a series of PCs at home since 1994.

Vista finally pushed me into the Apple store, because it's been such an endless irksome PITA - even when running on a new-in-2007 desktop PC which was supposedly "designed for Vista" or something like that per a little sticker on the outside.

I bought this iMac 24" on May 1. Because from everything I heard from people I trust: it just works.

They were right. :D

Bye-bye PC box.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What you don't like the Apple Kool-Aid?

I'll trade you all your Apple packets for some of the Purplesaurus Rex sitting around here. :p