drive cloning software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DesmoPilot, May 11, 2010.

1. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Have a new HDD coming, what's good software for drive cloning? Also (probably the wrong forum for this), how would I go about drive cloning on a MBP?

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

FWIW, the Disk Utility program which comes with every Mac can also perform clone operations... but, it uses the (somewhat confusing) term "restore".

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I would reccomend getting something like this for cloning the drive (has made my life very easy)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-112-_-Product"

Your link leads to a "dual" USB/SATA docking station. I already have one of the "single" docking stations, and - yes - it makes cloning and backups very easy.

I was wondering if you've had any problems with the "dual" setup? That is to say, are you able to mount/dismount drives in a dual docking station _inidividually_, without any "USB problems"?

5. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

+1 for SuperDuper. Extremely reliable, trustworthy, and Highly recommended (old but very insightful article).

As far as procedure goes:
    • Put the new drive in an external enclosure (I'm partial to the ones from Macally or OtherWorldComputing)
    • Attach it to your MBP
    • Format with Disk Utility if necessary
    • Use SuperDuper (or CarbonCopyCloner or Disk Utility) to clone onto the new drive,
    • Swap the drives around (new drive in MBP, old drive in enclosure for storage/backup/etc).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for Carbon Copy Cloner.

A great application at the right price :D