Drive Configuration Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jpalessi, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jpalessi macrumors member

hello,
    sorry if this seems like a stupid question but is it possible to install a SSD in my imac just to run software then use a external drive for all my everyday files? my current drive is full so im looking at upgrading n im just weighing my options. thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, of course. You can store your user data wherever you like.

3. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

ok cool. but how would i configure it so things will automatically save to the correct drive. like how do i make my "user data" movies,pic,docs, etc etc all save to the external?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can always do File > Save As and browse to any drive you like. In addition, some apps have default folders defined in their Preferences, which you can change to the external drive. For example, my iTunes library is too big to fit on my internal drive, so I split it between internal and external drives.

How to split a single iTunes library over two media locations

5. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

ok so i did some research offline and found out how to configure the user data to save on a external drive. =) now my only concern is how will the speed be with the external hooked up via 800FW ? how will it compare to a internal hdd.? my plan is to put a ssd internal, then use externals for ALL my storage. Also how would i setup a auto back up for the external? can i use another drive and use time machine?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine, even when streaming movies or music.
    Carbon Copy Cloner

7. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the help! going to order a ssd n a nice external. =)

8. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

ok so i spoke to someone today at mac mall n they told me i cant put a SSD drive in my imac, that i would need some sort of adapter.. anyone have any info on this? i would appreciate it greatly!

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

What year and model iMac are we talking about? As far as I know, I can put an ssd in my 11 year old G4 PowerBook using an adapter from Macsales.com otherwise known as Other World Computing. Maybe you're asking at the wrong place.

Dale

10. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

for real! thats what i thought too! me and my bro are both looking at a ssd upgrade. my imac is a early 08 and his is like a 09 or 2010.

11. Designer Dale, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I looked further into this an it seems that the iMac is the one system that makes it very hard to swap the HD for an SSD.

Read this article

They have a special cable for the HD that serves as a temperature sensor. If a non Apple HD or SSD is installed the fans run full speed. There are adapter kits that let you replace the optical drive with a second drive. I remember seeing a whole section on this on the macsales.com site, but it seems to be gone. It is a bummer that it's easier to put an SSD in a G3 or G4 than an iMac.

Here's a 2009 post from a MR member who put an SSD in an '09 iMac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808178

Sorry to spoil the party...

Dale