Drive failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrJUggles, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MrJUggles macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    I have a drive failure on iMac desktop and after reading around I think I feel confident to change the HD myself from1tb to 2tb.
    My question is this. What next?
    I take it I need boot disks that I stick in the DVD drive and it all sorts it's self out from there as it will be a completely blank hard drive.
    Also, I can't find my disks. If I have a serial number to go with it are these easy or cheap to come by?
    Is there any questions I need to be asking or I haven't thought of? I'm praying I'll be able to remove the HD and at the least get the pictures off, everything else I know I could get back.

I'm not sure what sort of information is needed for this type of question so I got this from my super slow iMac

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

I've obviously missed some info off. What is the Hardware UUID:
    I assume it means Unique User ID, but what is that.

Thanks for any input guys

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If we knew the version of OS X that was installed on the system when you bought it that would be helpful. If you want to install that same version then simply call AppleCare with the serial number and your credit card and for a nominal fee they will replace your origninal DVDs.

3. MrJUggles thread starter macrumors newbie

rkaufmann87 hah, I give all the other information but that *facepalm* It is Version 10.6.8
    So if I stick a new 2tb HD in the computer it'll just be a case of installing the boot disks from Applecare.
    I know I have t find, retrieve and put all my apps back on,but such is life I guess I'll have to suck that one up.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All your Apps will be safe in the Purchased section of the app store (not third party ones obviously) anything you bought from there is attached to your account and it's just a matter of downloading them again....You won't have to pay for them a second time.

5. MrJUggles thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for that. I've just been and ordered the disks (£19, not an ace price but it could be worse I guess) Now I need to look for the 2tb HD I know the guide I am following says it's a 3.5" Sata (or something like that)

Now my only hopes I'll be able to get the pictures off the hard drive once it is out. Then I will learn to backup a little more often (little more often means more than never!)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A lesson learned:). I'm super paranoid about my data..It's my work so can't afford to lose stuff. I have a Time Capsule backing up my MBA and MBP, and a Pegasus R4 taking care of my iMac....I would have to be really unlucky for all that to fail on me!

Look for a Seagate drive if you can find one....Promise use the super fast ones in the Pegasus and they are really fast.

7. MrJUggles thread starter macrumors newbie

That is an impressive set up. I think the time capsule will be my long term investment. I have just ordered the 3 tb seagate drive and am now waiting for the boot disks to come from apple. I took the HD out of the intel iMac with very little fuss, I was very impressed with how easy it was.
    The strange thing is, when I placed the HD in my all in one HD dock it communicates perfectly with my PC (with the right software) and I am now transferring the 103gb photographs off with ease (4 hours ease) it makes me wonder if there really is a drive failure. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining as I'm upgrading my HD to 3tb, I'm just curious to how a failing HD can work so well out of the mac.

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Failing does not mean failed perhaps? I’m not expert on the matter but maybe once a drive starts to fail the mac recognizes a problem and starts to lock out areas in order to secure the data for retrieval upon removal. If the drive were totally dead it wouldn’t work at all obviously but you have stated it was dying, not dead.