Drive for future HD projects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by UndertheRadar, Apr 4, 2008.

1. UndertheRadar macrumors member

Hi,
    I will be purchasing an HVX-200 in a month. For the last 4 years i've been on the dvx and strictly worked with sd dv material. I've got a Mac Pro RevA with 16gb of ram. I've mostly used single firewire400 drives for work on Final Cut.

My question is what Raid(0,1,5,external,internal) set up should i get for the hvx material for the sake of editing? Does anyone know if getting the raid card from apple is way better than a simple raid using disk utility?

I'm familiar with the different types of raid, I'm just asking for opinions on which setup is the best.

Thanks

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I would set it up like this (this is how I have it):

buy 3 750GB Samsung F1's (very fast, quiet, cool drives)

750 (1) for OS, apps, itunes, whatever
    750 (2) for source media from your HVX
    750 (3) for all renders/scratch
    stock drive as project/output drive

If you find it too slow then I'd RAID the media and render drives together in a RAID0 (but only if you have an external big enough to back everything up, no tape to fall back on...). For the RAID, I'd go with the CalDigit RAID card which does everything the Apple card can do (and more) for less money.

3. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

thanks bomb
    do you know where i can get that card? cant seem to find it hitting their links.
    Also, what do you think about raiding two internal and then just backing up to a larger internal thats not raided?(where the stock drive would go)