Drive Genius 3.1.2 no support for Apple RAID?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robains, Dec 29, 2011.

1. robains macrumors regular

robains

I'm running SL 10.6.8 and thought I'd try out Drive Genius 3 just to make sure my hard drives were working well and to defrag them. I've never defraged my primary drive since purchase and have going thru Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard upgrades.

I do a lot of FCP/LP/Photoshop/Cinema 4D so I thought it was time to do some drive defrag.

Drive Genius 3 worked fine on my 750GB boot HD, but when it got to my Apple RAID0 4TB (2X2TB) it reported all kinds of bogus problems (BAD sectors) and couldn't defrag the drive at all. It also said it's time estimate to complete was going to be 1 day and 6 hours???

I've checked the drive with Disk Utility and it reports no problems. Also ran Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and no problems. Moved files around on the drive without any problems.

ProSoft folks clearly state they support RAID on their web site so I'm puzzled why it doesn't seem to work with my Apple RAID0 2X2TB setup?? Here is the link to their web site that clearly states support for hardware RAID and Apple's Software RAID: RAID support

Anyone else run into this problem?

Rob

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I highly recommend NOT using Drive Genius at all, went to perform a defrag on my MBP (2 hard drives in RAID), when it rebooted the machine it just came up into verbose mode and listed a load of errors, then shutdown by itself, upon booting up I received loads of errors in verbose mode telling me loads of files were corrupt or missing, refusing to go any further, then after rebooting again it just immediately kernel panic'd every time it tried to boot, completely wiped out my mac, has taken me 2 days to get it all back up and running because nothing would work.

I seriously cannot understate how people SHOULD NOT USE DRIVE GENUIS. It reported loads of sector errors with one of my hard drives so much so it got 70% of the way through and stopped, saying the drive was so badly corrupted it couldn't carry on, but another app reported no sector errors, couldn't understand it. Terrible terrible application.

3. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

Schtumple,

I think you are correct. I contacted their support and got an Email response from "Abu" that wasn't helpful. I responded but I've not heard back from them??

So I searched their web site (as I bought it direct from them over the phone only 3 days ago) and found NO return policy at all, no guarantee, nothing. What's more concerning is that their online ordering "Secure site" has a problem with their HTTPS designation, meaning parts of the so called "Secure site" are NOT secure at all!!

I'm beginning to wonder if this company is just a scam? Looks like I wasted $100 with no recourse.

Rob

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Wow that's terrible, I noticed reading somewhere that DG3 is supposed to be the tool chosen by Apples Genius Bar, but yet I've NEVER seen it be used for any of the times I had a hard drive fault, I just got told "we'll replace the drive, your data is gone, we don't repair drives".

Definitely something not right with that company.