Drive 'Genius' 3 wrecked boot camp, how can I ideally recover?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thermodynamic, Sep 28, 2010.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I do have a DMG backup of the bootcamp partition, which I made before resizing.

Thinking it was a competent application and reading a review saying Drive Genius 3 (DG3) works on bootcamp partitions, I summarily bought DriveGenius to resize my OS X partition and then change bootcamp's.

Resizing OS X's partition was simple, but DG3 said Bootcamp was in an incompatible format and would not be changed (NTFS, for Win7 64-bit).

So, thinking all was well, or at least I could resize Bootcamp via other means, I reboot. Holding down the OPTION key, the boot menu is now different. There's no bootcamp entry and the OS X partition was renamed from "EFI Boot" to "Macintosh HD".

Booting into OS X boot CD and changing the boot volume to bootcamp, guess what's corrupt? Bootcamp, a partition DG3 claimed it did not touch.

Diskwarrior found a few issues with the OS X partition, but nothing seemingly major -- it also renamed the option menu back to "EFI Boot".

I'm about to restore my DMG image and pray, but also owning Parallels 6 and noting how fast many Windows apps run, I might convert bootcamp over -- maybe Bryce and DAZ Studio will run faster. (There are Mac versions, but the Mac versions crash whereas the Win versions - doing the same rendering and processes - do not. :mad: )

What is the safest way that I can restore my Bootcamp partition, without having to resort to my DMG image? Can the bootcamp partition be restored? All the data still exists, it just can't boot - so it's probably just the MBR of the Bootacmp partition that was hosed.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could try to use your Win 7 install disc and use the automatic repair. W764 understands EFI, so it should not stomp on your OS X. If you go that way, make sure you also have a backup of your OS X just in case.

Winclone did a few extra things after restoring from the DMG to make it bootable.

EDIT: It looks like all it was doing was gptrefresh and copying a generic BCD over using ntfscp as described here: http://www.afp548.com/netboot/mactips/dualboot.html (you could probably use gptsync instead of gptrefresh).

EDIT2: In a previous thread it seemed like gdisk might be a good solution. You might want to see if it can do what gptsync/gptrefresh.

B

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Thx for the info!

I do have a DMG backup of my OS X partition (made before using DG3).

I will attempt what you've mentioned tonight when I've had time to fully prepare and feel comfy in attempting. That makes sense, so i will be keeping my fingers crossed...

Additional: I did install winclone, but only just after using DG3. The DMG I made of Bootcamp I made with Apple's Disk Utility. As an alternate form of backup. But winclone's backup is definitely useless (it too would say "no boot device", as I just tried using parallels to convert the existing bootcamp partition and I got the same error.)

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Thanks for the edits/updates!

I will try your first paragraph first, starting with Boot Camp Assistant to boot from the partition - maybe that will work.

I'll track down GPTSYNC... worst case scenario I'll restart from scratch and reactivate all the relevant apps... (*shudder*)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

BCA won't be happy. Insert the W7 disc and reboot the Mac holding Alt/Option.

B

6. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Will do - thanks!

Small update: I bought a new hard drive, thinking I could put the bootcamp partition on it. The DMG I made of the bootcamp partition can't be deployed on its own - I received an error about the partition on the destination drive not being formatted right. (uh-oh... that's because the DMG was made from a NTFS partition... Can winclone make use of the DMG file?)

Assuming booting from the Windows DVD and recovery option works, can I move the bootcamp partition to a completely separate drive? (I should have bit the bullet and bought a separate hard drive in the first place...)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not directly. It uses DMG as one of its internal image formats, and it's "retired" for good now it seems.

Only if you have a Mac Pro. (You didn't say). The other Macs only have one internal drive and Windows doesn't like being on an external.

B

8. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Good to know...

Thanks for the info - I did a system repair and it worked. Performance seems on par as it was before.

Should I ask the following in a new thread:

Can I migrate my boot camp partition to a separated hard drive?

And how can I properly back up the partition? Should I immediately make a winclone backup or are there more recent, better tools?

With Parallels 6, should I migrate to it instead? (I've noted CS5 apps work great via Parallels 6 (testing revealed a remarkably fluid response time), but I worry that Bryce, Truespace, and other 3D apps would probably have their performance crippled - I currently cannot afford Mac versions, but in the case of Bryce I noted the Windows version crashes less often :( so I'm sticking with the Windows version for now.)

?

9. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

I have a 2009 Mac Pro. :) I forgot to mention that earlier - sorry about that... :eek:

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not aware of anything that is really better. Definitely not something that is GPT aware and runs under Mac OS X.

I recommended Acronis in another thread but it didn't work for that person. (Works fine for me and my purposes).

B

11. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Do your purposes include backing up a Windows partition or drive? If so, I'll buy TrueImage v11 right away... :)

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but...

Most of the drives I want to image are old MBR drives connected via USB. Or existing Acronis images I want to mount.

In order to work with a GPT disk like on the Mac you need Plus Pack and there are still some operations that you can't do with GPT drives...

B

13. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

I will look further into Acronis with the Plus Pack and see what the limitations are - thanks much! (Meanwhile, I posted a new thread about my attempt to migrate the bootcamp partition...)