Drive Genius II Destroyed My Disk, Leopard 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chelsel, Jun 5, 2008.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

WARNING!!!

I purchased and downloaded the latest Drive Genius II based on recommendations across the web. After running Repair/Verify to confirm that my OS X partition was working properly I ran a Defrag. After it was reported that the defrag was successful I rebooted... however my system will no longer start from the Macintosh HD. Booting from the Leopard install DVD and running Disk Utility reports that the volume is corrupted.

I am going to attempt a Time Machine restore now. Warning to all others, be very certain you have a backup before using Drive Genius on your 10.5.3 Leopard Macintosh HD!!!

(posted from Windows using the still working Windows bootcamp partition)

2. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

turns out Drive Genius is not compatible with Bootcamp enabled systems!! In their favor, they have agreed to refund my money, and my Time Machine was restore (the 2nd time I tried).

3. flanamac macrumors 6502

Agreed. I ran a repartioning request on Drive Genius and it didn't work as supposed to (corrupted my drive). I am requesting a refund from Other World Computing where I bought it.

Mac OSx has plenty of power and utilities for my needs. I am not sure why Disk Utilities is put down so much by 3rd party software (although I understand you can either hype your product, or put down others to raise awareness for marketing purposes).