Drive Genius keeps on returning small amount of bad sectors?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cubytus, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Hi there,

I am currently executing Drive Genius from an external Mavericks installation onto my internal hard drive. The internal drive has been zeroed on all sectors using the Shred option. On last pass, it found and spared 31 bad sectors, and I am currently running a second pass, where it found 15 bad sectors.

Should I continue running it until it doesn't return anything? The reason I am so obsessive about these is that Western Digital refuses to honour 5-year warranty under the reason they never received previously defective HDD (and I can't find its tracking number, it was too long ago).

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you saying you completed the disk repair and AFTER that when running repair again new errors have popped up? If that is the case, your drive is dying and you should chuck it in the trash.

3. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't talked about software repairs.

So should I continue scanning for bad sectors until none turn out, or will Drive Genius simply remind me of those that were already spared?

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

If the first pass that resulted in sparing was a complete pass – and if there's additional sparing from a second pass with the same options in Drive Genius – then (as Weaselboy suggests) the drive has become so unreliable that you should replace it.

5. Bear macrumors G3

You might try one more pass, but as it is popping new errors there's a drive issue.

As for WD not honoring the warranty, can you have someone else send it in? And in the future don't buy Western Digital drives. Remember Western Digital Keeps buying other disk companies. The only company off the top of my head that I know is separate is Seagate (who also keeps buying companies). Seagate does have drive with 5 year warranties as well.

6. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

That is good to know, as I don't remember having significant warranty-related issues with a few Seagate drives I have. On the other hand, the warranty on this one is linked to the serial number of the drive. I doubt having somebody else sending it would make any difference. It was written in their contract, indeed, that a replaced drive carried the remainder of the warranty provided the original, defective drive is received, but only 90 days if it's not. I blame Western Digital for NOT sending any notice original drive was not received.

I chose this drive because it topped performance charts as far as 2.5" laptop drives did when I got it. No Seagate came close to it, but I welcome suggestions.

512GB SSDs are simply too expensive, and I doubt Black Friday will help much.

7. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

8. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Would it provide high performance laptop drives?

9. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

10. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

There are performance rotating drives, yes. The Scorpio Black was one of these.