Drive Genius Killed my Mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DomnizkyDesign, May 14, 2008.

1. DomnizkyDesign macrumors newbie

I need to find a new Panther install or something.. I really don't know.

So, here's what happened:

I was running 10.3.9 fine in a G3 Dual-USB iBook. I wanted to add another OS to it, so I went and partitioned my drive with Drive Genius. I installed Ubuntu 6.10 fine. It dual-booted great. No problems. Eventually, I wanted some of my 30 GB Hard Drive back.
    Started up Drive Genius again, and shrank my Ubuntu partition. So now I had:

APPLE_FREE (5MB) <-An artifact from something. I really don't know what. It's been there since before I partitioned the first time.
    MAC_OS_X_PANTHER (18GB) <-My mac partition...
    UBUNTU_610 (5GB) <-My shrunken Ubuntu partition...
    APPLE_FREE (5GB) <-My freed space.

To enlarge my mac partition I needed to shift Ubuntu down one slot to align the mac slot and the free slot.

So I went and used Drive Genius to shift Ubuntu down...

And now my mac slot registers as free space, can't boot, and the linux partition is dead as well.

Is there anywhere I can get 10.3 or 10.4 install CD's without paying upwards of 70 bucks for them?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If your question is, "Can I get an older OS X install disc for free?" the answer is no, not legally.
    Your best bet is going to be Ebay, just be sure they're legit copies from a reputable seller.

3. DomnizkyDesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Not so much free, no. I know thats in the EULA or some acronym like that.

Okay, so If I get a USB DVD drive (the iBook is CD-ROM only) can I install from that, seeing as how it isn't built into the computer? Or does it need to be some kind of firewire interface?