Drive Genius questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacDaddy08, May 15, 2008.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

First I want to start by saying that Drive Genius is a great program for Macs. For those of you that have never heard of it, it is a DVD bootable program that allows you to test, repartition, repair, format, benchmark and multiple other things on your hard drive. It has the same possibilities as the Windows program, Partition Magic, but I actually like the functionality of Drive Genius much more. And the fact you boot it from a DVD.

Here is my question for those of you that know about Drive Genius. Because it boots from a DVD, it is very slow. I have the disk image file, I also am able to read all the contents of the DVD. I want to put Drive Genius on a flash drive and use it that way so it would be much faster. I have tried mutiple ways of doing this but I still can't get it to work. The farthest I was able to get was by changing my finder preferences in terminal to view all hidden files on my Mac and copy every file over from the DVD to the flash drive. I was able to boot into Drive Genius but when it was loading just before it finished it failed. It fails every time. Does anyone know a trick to doing this or has anyone else out there done anything similar. I have booted Leopard from a USB drive before multiple times with no problems but this is a different story and it's killing me trying to figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. nigrunze macrumors regular

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try using Disk Utility to "Restore" to the flash drive. Just open Disk Utility, select either drive and click restore, then drag the disks (or image, if that's what you've got) to the appropriate places and hit Restore. Should be bootable.

jW

4. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I tried doing that in both GUID and Apple partition tables and still getting the same error in the same spot. The DVD still works fine. When I boot from USB it stops during initialization and says Launch Failure. Any other ideas for me to try?
    Thanks for the replies.