Drive issue - files took awhile to appear and beachballs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SLR2009, Apr 17, 2010.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi, I clicked and opened my internal drive and it took about 10 seconds before my folders and files appeared. Then when I tried to play a video which is on the drive, I got beach balls for 15 seconds or so. Afterward every video I played after that, played fine. Is there something wrong with the drive or is this normal? Note: this drive is used to store my videos, music, and wallpaper. Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe it was powered down and had to wake up?

From what you wrote, you either have a Power Mac or Mac Pro?

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Energy Saver?

3. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. correct, I have a Mac Pro. in Energy Saver Preferences I have checked "Put the Hard Disks to sleep when possible" so could it be that the hard drive was in sleep mode? Is it ok to uncheck that option in Energy saver preferences?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the HDD we are writing about is not the one where the OS is installed on, then yes, the "Put HDDs to sleep when possible" option is responsible for the sleepy HDD.
    You can uncheck that option, but then the HDD is awake the whole time, which consumes more power and puts more strain on the HDD. If you need access to the HDD the whole time, then unchecking might be the better option. Or you learn to live with the waiting.

5. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Correct, I have 3 internal drives in my Mac Pro. The drive that took awhile to display the files is used to store my videos, wallpaper, music, etc. My OS (Snow Leopard) is not installed on that drive.