Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveiott06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys-

I did a search and found the info to use AppleScrpt to map network drives on login, however, when the user logs in it mounts the drive and opens the window. How can I get it to put a mount on the desktop? Do I need to add something to my code? I am using 10.4 and 10.5 OS mostly. Here is a copy of the document that I used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using AppleScript to Mount Network Volumes
For many network products to function correctly on Mac OS® X, a network volume must be mounted to the desktop. Mounting this volume can be automated with AppleScript. Review the remainder of this General Computer Advice article for instructions.
Perform the following steps to create an AppleScript application that automatically mounts a network volume.

Double-click the hard drive icon on the desktop.
Double-click the Applications folder.
Double-click the AppleScript folder.
Double-click the Script Editor application.
Type the following into the Script Editor window.
tell application "Finder"
open location "afp://user:password@server/share"
end tell
Note: Replace user with the desired username, password with that user's password, server with the name of the server, and share with the name of the shared volume.
Click the File menu and choose Save As.
Type the desired name of the script in the Save As field.
Select the desired location for this file from the Where drop-down menu.
Choose Application from the File Format drop-down menu.
Ensure the Startup Screen setting does not have a check mark in front of it.
Click the Save button. The application will appear in the location selected above.
Close any open windows and close any programs to return to the desktop.
Navigate to the location to which the AppleScript application was saved.
Double-click the application. The network volume will appear on the desktop.

steveiott06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
does anyone know how to get a mapped drive shortcut on the desktop? Some of our Mac's do it and some don't! I don't understand why!! Help!:D

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
does anyone know how to get a mapped drive shortcut on the desktop? Some of our Mac's do it and some don't! I don't understand why!! Help!:D

Create an alias. See under the File menu. Alternatively, drag the item to the desktop and before letting go, hold down the option and command key while you release the mouse button. This also creates an alias.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.